HD DVD to Die Before Week's End

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From our front-page news:
It should come as surprise to no one that HD DVD's death is closer than ever, and according to various sources, it could come before the week is over. According to Ars Technica, sources have revealed that the likes of Netflix and Wal-Mart have known about the plans for Toshiba to withdrawal from the HD DVD camp for weeks now, which is the reason both of them made their announcements early.

The past month and a half have not been fun for Toshiba and HD DVD supporters. Since Warner's announcement to cancel their support for HD DVD, things have gone downhill at an accelerated rate, with numerous other companies following suit - ultimately pushing Toshiba to make the rough, but obvious decision.

Once the announcement is finally made, it's only a matter of time before movie production is halted and the remaining stores cease to offer them for sale. It's a harsh way to go, but was inevitable.

<table align="center"><tbody><tr><td>
hd-dvd_full_news_logo.png

</td></tr></tbody></table>
What's more, our source says that Netflix and Wal-Mart were aware of HD DVD's impending official death, and rather than allow a long and drawn out withdrawal from the market that could burn customers, those companies chose to broadcast their intentions to the marketplace immediately. This puts pressure on Toshiba and its partners to exit the business without spending months trying to unload product that's essentially already obsolete.

Source: Ars Technica

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The Toshiba HD-DVD BetaMAX!!!!!!!!!!

I personally didn't care who won, I am just glad someone did and now they can get to the price drops.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
From a technical standpoint, HD DVD should have won, but they did far too many things wrong. Sony did everything right, so really, they deserve to win. It's one reason I wound up with a Blu-ray player and don't have an HD DVD player.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I just want the BluRay Player/Recorder on the computer.
What is it.....15 gigs to write??

Merlin

werty316

Partition Master
I figured Blu-Ray would prevail in this media battle.

Yup, Blu-Ray is capable of a 50GB capacity with dual layer discs and 25GB with a single layer discs.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
To me, the size of the discs doesn't really matter in this case... at all. Take a look at a few HD DVD titles... like 300. It had far more features than the Blu-ray version, yet has a smaller disc.

HD DVD was cool in that it offered a lot of functionality from the get go... Toshiba didn't need to follow-up with new firmware like Sony did... over, and over.

Still, despite the bad taste in my mouth, I am glad this war is over. It was definitely a pain in the ass. Now to wait for the next one :-/

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
To me, the size of the discs doesn't really matter in this case... at all. Take a look at a few HD DVD titles... like 300. It had far more features than the Blu-ray version, yet has a smaller disc.

HD DVD was cool in that it offered a lot of functionality from the get go... Toshiba didn't need to follow-up with new firmware like Sony did... over, and over.

Still, despite the bad taste in my mouth, I am glad this war is over. It was definitely a pain in the ass. Now to wait for the next one :-/

I already have the next invention in the works.....

Nanite cubes....each atom is labeled a " 0 " or a " 1 " as in binary language, since we already have the proper editors in place.
Let's see, how many atoms in a Lucite cube 1 inch by 1 inch square at 45C with humidity at 70% relative.
The reader/writer would be smaller in size and maybe even could have different endings of a movie, selected by the user.
A lower power consumption rate and fewer moving parts.

Normality Resumed

Of course this is all hush hush and I trust no one spreads the secret.

Sign here for nondisclosure forms X________________

madstork91

The One, The Only...
The longer im around the more and more I both find reasurances that my fanboi-ism towards sony was correct in past days.

And the more I find reasons to completely despise them.

slugbug

Coastermaker
I heard Future Shop will be clearing out all HD-DVD players for 75% off very soon. Possibly HD-DVD movies too.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Funeral Services will be held in the empty HD video wharehouse.
Survived by Mrs Sony Beta and Mr Commodor ( who is 64 )
An open case was not requested due to family members.
It was just to hard of a battle to survive the onslaught. :mad:

:techgage::techgage: Merlin :techgage::techgage:

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
The longer im around the more and more I both find reasurances that my fanboi-ism towards sony was correct in past days.

And the more I find reasons to completely despise them.
I think ( BlueRay ) had more of an appeal to john q public.
than HD DVD...it's all marketing and who can last longer also

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I heard Future Shop will be clearing out all HD-DVD players for 75% off very soon. Possibly HD-DVD movies too.
Next to the 5.25 floppies?
And the Large Video Disks as big as a vinyl LP record.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Took a trip to Wal-Mart (ugh) this evening... surprised that they are still selling quite a selection of HD-DVD movies. The Blu-ray has an obvious priority on the shelf, but there are still quite a few HD-DVD titles there.

None of them are marked down any, which I find kind of surprising.