Hummer Owner Gets Angry Message

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
On a narrow, leafy street in Northwest Washington, where Prius hybrid cars and Volvos are the norm, one man bought a flashy gray Hummer that was too massive to fit in his garage.

So he parked the seven-foot-tall behemoth on the street in front of his house and smiled politely when his eco-friendly neighbors looked on in disapproval at his "dream car."

It lasted five days on the street before two masked men took a bat to every window, a knife to each 38-inch tire and scratched into the body: "FOR THE ENVIRON."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/17/AR2007071701808.html

Attachments

• PH2007071701884.jpg
    PH2007071701884.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 560

moon111

Coastermaker
Someone should do the same thing to a Toyoto Primus. Since they only get a sneeze better gas milage then a Chevy Aveo, but use nickel which mining operations cause major sulfer dioxide emmisions and has killed the surrounding area so much that NASA uses this dead area to test moon rovers. Plus a Toyota Primus won't last as long, so you also have to factor in 'environmental' costs of manufactering.

NicePants42

Partition Master
Someone should do the same thing to a Toyoto Primus. Since they only get a sneeze better gas milage then a Chevy Aveo, but use nickel which mining operations cause major sulfer dioxide emmisions and has killed the surrounding area so much that NASA uses this dead area to test moon rovers. Plus a Toyota Primus won't last as long, so you also have to factor in 'environmental' costs of manufactering.
That was sarcasm, right?

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Good gooing stupid tree huggers. Now 4 more large tires and a pile of glass is going into a landfill. PLUS, the repaint will release more harmful chemicals into the air.

It is a proven fact that over the entire lifespan, a Hummer is more gentle to the environment, especially when disposal is taken into consideration. Both vehicles should last a long time, but the Hummer is less damaging to the environment upon disposal.

Noone has the right to do this kind of crap to someone else's property. Tree huggers are the worst. I had one asshat yell out his car window at me when I was watering my lawn (during a water ban, LOL!). The chicken didn't have the guts to confront me even after I lobbed a large rock through his back window as he was driving away. They are all cowards that can beat up an inanimate object, but cannot fight their way out of a wet paper bag. Anyone that even remotely agrees that this was OK on any level deserves a major punch in the face.

VIOLENCE CAN AND WILL SOLVE GLOBAL WARMING!!!!!!!!!!!

NicePants42

Partition Master
ROFL not surprised it is on rare occasion that you see hummers in the NW.
This was in Washington D.C., Maryland.

It is a proven fact that over the entire lifespan, a Hummer is more gentle to the environment, especially when disposal is taken into consideration. Both vehicles should last a long time, but the Hummer is less damaging to the environment upon disposal.
Not sure I buy that one - unless by 'proven fact' you mean 'CNW research study'.

Here are a few links pertaining to that:
Washington Post Story with Toyota Response
Hybrid Blog list of conflicting studies with links to studies
Hybrid Blog with response from Union of Concerned Scientists
AutoblogGreen link 1
AutoblogGreen link 2
AutoblogGreen link 3

No one has the right to do this kind of crap to someone else's property.
Agreed.

Tree huggers are the worst. I had one asshat yell out his car window at me when I was watering my lawn (during a water ban, LOL!). The chicken didn't have the guts to confront me even after I lobbed a large rock through his back window as he was driving away.
Although I find your actions hilarious, doesn't this kind of conflict with
No one has the right to do this kind of crap to someone else's property.
? What did he/she yell at you?

They are all cowards that can beat up an inanimate object, but cannot fight their way out of a wet paper bag.
In this case, it seems that way. Although after reading the entire story and seeing that the guy is 32, lives with his 70 year old mother and is wanting to start an 'image-based' marketing business (hence the Hummer+lift kit), he sure sounds like a jackass too.

Last edited:

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
What gives you or anyone the right to judge how this man lives? Nice way of blaming the victim.

As for my actions, I challenged their right to yell obscene things to me by challenging their right to not have their property damaged by me. Unlike those cowards that beat up the parked truck with noone around, I did my damage with the offensive people IN their car with the ability to confront me while doing it. Unlike those cowards, I was confronting the person. Since they were driving away as I ran towards their car, I figured they'd stop to atleast call the cops on me, which they did not. They were not victims, they were cowards. The people that "attacked" the Hummer were cowards, not the victim. Unlike most people, I have no problem confronting morons and taking care of me and my own.

NicePants42

Partition Master
What gives you or anyone the right to judge how this man lives? Nice way of blaming the victim.
My comment did not place blame for anything on anyone - I merely stated my opinion on the state of the owner's life. If you recall, I agreed that the perpetrators had no right to damage property. As far as the right to judge goes, you judged that someone deserved a rock thrown at their car based on a few words they said.

As for my actions, I challenged their right to yell obscene things to me by challenging their right to not have their property damaged by me.
As much as one might agree with the principle of your argument, you still were in the wrong.

Unlike those cowards that beat up the parked truck with no one around, I did my damage with the offensive people IN their car with the ability to confront me while doing it. Unlike those cowards, I was confronting the person. Since they were driving away as I ran towards their car, I figured they'd stop to at least call the cops on me, which they did not. They were not victims, they were cowards. The people that "attacked" the Hummer were cowards, not the victim. Unlike most people, I have no problem confronting morons and taking care of me and my own.
In general I agree, however there is a leap from yelling obscenities to throwing rocks that is not required in order to 'confront morons' and take care of you and yours. I'd be interested in your thoughts on how throwing that rock better served your family, or made you less of a coward.

Edit: just to make sure I'm clear on that last bit, I'm not saying that it was cowardly to throw the rock, it's just that since you think so little of cowards, I would assume that you would comport yourself in the most un-cowardly way possible. So I'm just wondering what made you throw the rock vs. not throw it.

Last edited:

moon111

Coastermaker

The EPA rating changed. It was completely unrealistic, now it's just slightly impossible. This change drops the Toyota's Primate from 60 to 48 mpg.
Use AC, your losing another 3 mpg.

Nickel mining is causing people to be forced off their lands, to abandon their homes, schools, churches and crops. Toxic chemicals being emitted from mining operations including lead, arsenic, nickel, cadmium, and mercury.

The cost of a Toyota P-rust is between $30,000 and $40,000 dollars.
If someone really wanted to help the world, buy a Chevy Aveo for up to $15,495, donate $15,000 to help people displaced by Nickel mining operations, and don't cut or trim your grass.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
I'll continue driving my 2001 tahoe and 94 vette.

The vette is for fun and rarely get driven. The tahoe is a necessity 80% of the time. If someone want to pay to get me something to drive for that other 20% of the time, sure, I'll take it.

Also... I read recently something about a porcelain something or other type of battery that is supposedly WAY more efficient, WAY faster to charge, and way more enviro friendly. The car companies as of yet have refused to dev them further... Can't remember why. I actually wish I had booked that news story.