The ultimate memory cooler?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I got a press release for this today, and I can't say I am impressed. I can say that they are unique though.

At the height of advanced technology with computer parts and devices getting hotter and hotter you might not know this but when you increase the voltage and frequency during overclocking, you not only increase the speed and performance of you computer but you also increased a mass of heat created inside your computer case and that includes the heat coming from your memory modules. That temperature increase alone can be as much as 10 degree Celsius. Added to the total of increased heat, your computer case could contain 60 degree Celsius or above!

Some memory module manufacturer tried to cool that part of the equation by, putting heat spreaders on those memory modules. But experts would know this: the heat gathered by the heat spreader has no where to go and the constant heat coming from the memory chips would render the heat spreaders to be useless. They do not have much cooling effect except for visual effects with fancy LED and cool company logos but that's about it.

To solve this problem and paving the way for all future RAM cooling, Thermalright has come up with another innovative design in the name of
HR-07, and bring with it the technology of heatpipes!

HR-07 will rid of all doubts and misled concepts about RAM coolers and truly
solve the RAM heat problem by ways of twin heatpipes and proprietary through holes found in every of our High Riser series heatsink, giving you that luxury of quietness provided that your computer case has a well air flow management. For those who take advantage of Dual Channel mode, you can even install a second HR-07 and be given the additional option to install a fan to truly have the ultimate cooling solution for your memory modules!

HR-07 is not only easy to install and uninstall, it will not damage the warranty label on your memory module. HR-07 uses low adhesive double-sided thermal pads to cushion and protect your memory module so for those who are concerned with the warranty label being scraped or torn up during removal of HR-07 need not worry. We have considered every factor to help bringing you a peace of mind.

So are you still mesmerized by the flashy LED gimmick from those traditional RAM coolers that does nothing but for decoration or do you want the real power of cooling? Make the right choice and make it a Thermalright! HR-07!!

Imagine how much room these things would take up in your case! I have no clue why anyone would need these... a small fan can work wonders.

http://www.thermalright.com/a_news/main_news_hr07.htm

Attachments

• HR-07_1223.jpg
    HR-07_1223.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 631

Rory Buszka

Partition Master
Soon, nine screws won't be enough to hold your motherboard to the backplane, from all the metal hanging from it. Honestly, does memory even get that hot?

madmat

Soup Nazi
Those will be worthless for anyone with a mobo that uses the adjacent slots for dual channel such as the MSI NF4 X16 Diamond like I put in Vince's PC to replace this A8N32 or the Fatal1ty I have sitting in the air cooling rig I'm building. Not only do they both use 1 & 2 or 3 & 4 for dual channel but the slots are so close together that large heatspreaders actually touch.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
The funniest part is that a simple 25CFM 80mm fan zip tied over the memory is all you would ever need for the hghest overclocks with all the voltage your motherboard can push through your memory sticks. This is what we call "cashing in" on the lazy crowd and people with more money than brains.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Soon, nine screws won't be enough to hold your motherboard to the backplane, from all the metal hanging from it. Honestly, does memory even get that hot?

Yeah I hear you... look at what dual 8800GTX will get you. Add on all these coolers... that's one damn heavy board.

The funniest part is that a simple 25CFM 80mm fan zip tied over the memory is all you would ever need for the hghest overclocks with all the voltage your motherboard can push through your memory sticks. This is what we call "cashing in" on the lazy crowd and people with more money than brains.

They won't be lazy when they get them in... that -has- to be a pain in the ass to install. You are spot on with the fan... I never had a held back overclock because the chips got too hot... it's just not possible. Most times nowadays, you don't need more voltage to get a better overclock. My friend has hit DDR2-1200 with 4-4-4 timings at 2.2v... so sometimes the modules themselves matter.

Some passive cooler like this would just get in the way as far as I can see.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Haha, that looks pimp. Goes well with the 120mm fan beside it. Have you found it to make a noticeable difference in the rams temp? Do the modules still burn your fingers off? The only thing I notice, is that it seems like it is a single fan... so does it even target both opposite ends of the modules?

Jakal

Tech Monkey
With the setup of the DFI Lanparty board, the cpu fan does a decent job of cooling a ram chip. Airflow tends to go over the first slot and does nothing for the other. I've got a pair of OCZ Gold chips, and the perforated design already lends itself to very effective cooling. I don't have a sensor to test ram temps, but they did get warm to the touch at 3v+.

The cooler is angled, as you can see, and yes it does a good job of cooling the left chip, and left side of the right module. I'm certain there's airflow over all surfaces, just because of the design. Air is going to move from an area of high pressure to low. The left module is getting more airflow due to the fact it's positioned right underneath the blades. The right module is being efficiently cooled as well, with the Zalman helping in that regard.

I have noticed lower temps on the PWMIC (Pulse Width Modulator Integrated Circuit), and an overall lower cpu temperature as well. By the look you wouldn't guess it, but I haven't encountered a problem of the cooler being an obstruction to the airflow of the CPU fan. In fact, I've noticed lower temps on that as well.

The only thing that doesn't please me is, it actually clips onto the depressions along the top and bottom of the DDR modules. Hearing the metal scrape on the pcb didn't enthuse me one bit. So the clamping that holds it in place is actually squeezing on the memory itself. I'm not sure how tight of a squeeze it is, but there is some deflection in the metal.

Installation was easy, just slip one end over the top of the ram, and the other end over the bottom. It doesn't matter which direction the angle is pointing. As you can see, I've got mine pointing towards the cpu. There was some reasoning behind it though. The led is bright, and when I say bright I mean it. With it pointing the other direction, the led was shining right in my face. Quite distracting at times.

It plugs right into a regular 3pin header, and I've got mine plugged in right beside the cpu. That plug is controlled by the motherboard pwmic temps, and I can set it to turn off at whatever temperature I'd like. Nifty.

I think it's a nice addon, and something people who need some active cooling along their DDR would like. Those with water cooling, or just a case with poor airflow would benefit from it.

If you'd like more information on the product, stop on by CoolIt for a look.

JacKz5o

Obliviot
Most motherboards these days have the PCIe slot in line right under the DIMM slots, so if you have an 8800GTX or any other long card theres barely enough room to push the clip to get the RAM off.. Maybe if you mount them the other way with the heatpipes going up? But then again how would the liquid in there evaporate downwards??