Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Logitech has an extensive line of headphones and microphones. So how do you go about choosing witch one would fit your needs? Today, we are looking at the Logitech Precision PC Gaming Headset, and hopefully will make your choice a little easier.

logitech_gamingprecision_logo.gif

After checking out the review here, feel free to discuss it here! Comments and suggestions are welcome!

A

Alex

Headset

Hmm looks interesting, I think I'll buy it. It's 35$ Canadian

8ball_UK_BAD_MAN

Excellent review just what i was looking for :) was indecisive about whether or not to for the gaming headset or the top of the range usb 350.

Need a new one as my labteck gaming headset hes been stood on for the last time, and it also hurt my ears after intense online battles.

looks like i will be giving this a try !!

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
If I was a filthy rich bastard or if these companies had a short testing period for us to check out products before buying it, I'd really like to check this headset out. I too am an audio junkie at times. Right now I have Paganini's crazy Caprices of the violin going, and once I get more studying done, some van Buuren, some Tiesto, some Mozart and Rachmaninoff during CSS...and being late at night, a great headset for listening and speaking is of utmost value.

I wonder how this headset compared to the last one you tried. :cool:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
No idea since I didn't use it, but I am sure the quality difference is there. I am currently using an IceMat Siberia and am quite impressed with it as well.

For budget, I'd choose the headset in this review, but for three times the money, I'd try the Altec Lansing or IceMat.

S

Svennicus

Do Not Buy This Product!!!

The Logitech Gaming headset has a known fault! I have purchased one of these headset and it lasted around six months. Apparently there is a known fault with these units where the headset is completely dead. I have discussed this issues with Logitech and they can not tell me if there is a newer revision of the product without the fault (i suspect there is not).

After some "discussion" my headset will be replaced, but i predict in around 6 months time i will have the same issue and my headset will be out of its warranty period, though luck for me i guess.

So far dealing with Logitech i have been appalled with what they call their "Customer Support".

I deter anyone from buying this product to spare yourself the pain of having to deal with Logitech.

Bobbythecat

E.M.I.
Welcome to the forum man! That does sound rough...I bought a headphone before that was supposed to cancel out noise...but all it did was make everything sound like it was all happening far out in the distance, where I get to hear the echoes! And there was nothing much I could do about it... :techgage:

Buck-O

Coastermaker
I actually got these as a christmas present last year, right after they came out.

They lasted about 5 months.

The issue is, the cord is so frigging long, that it snags on EVERYTHING!
Plus having the weight od the volume control on the cord doesnt make the issue any better.

Eventually what happens over time is that the tugging ont he cord pulls the wiring away from the solder on the ear pad, which contains a multipoint soldering area. Unfortunately the tightest cable in the cluster is the grounds. WHich is a shared wire on the left and right headphone. That wire breaks, wham, no sound.

I called Logitech, and asked for a wiring schematic, and they wouldent send me one. Nor could ANYof their tech tell me what wire went where so i could resolder it myself. And none of them ever offered to RMA it for a new one.

Aparently they now have a new model, with a couple molded pegs in the internal plastic to wrap the cord around as a relief section to redice strain on the wiring. However, this design is GREATLY flawed. Because the pegs grab the sheathing, NOT the wiring. And becuase the sheithing is so large, one good tug with stretch it beyond its limits putting all the straing right back on the cames its supposed to protect.

Overall, i REALLY liked these headphones. Granted they sounded like ASS compaired to my Grado SR60's, or even my KOSS Prota-Pro's. But they did offer excelent spactial positioning, and a good amnount of mid range bump for gaming and vocals, which is exactly what you need in a VOIP or gaming environment.

As the review noted, they seem to have a bit of lack in teh bass department. However, i found that if the drivers where pushed in tword the ear tighter, this wasnt an issue. So i dont think its as much an issue of not having bass. As much as it is an issue with the open back deasign. If the drivers wherent sealed, and/or the ear piece was a true circumaural design, they would be one kick ass set of cans. Unfortunately, i still havent soldered mine back together yet. :(

U

Unregistered

whats the known fault?

Svennicus, you say these have a known fault...what is it?

As to poor cord connection, this sounds like a recurrent problem with several brands and is concerning.

My issues are:

1) headphone fit over eyeglasses
2) general durability
3) sharp clear mic

Youve all had these things a while, I'd love to hear more feedback.

Icemats DO sound nice, but again are triple the cost. Am I getting triple the device?

U

urb4n

Gettin these 2day

Hi folks,

Im gettin these headphones today, gud for me i dont do any cabling stress on its cables as the pc is right nxt to my, only about 4 feet away from the port, so 10feet is rather 2 much for me... I play Cod2 (call of duty 2) online and good sound is usefull :)

J

jerm

sound quality

hey, i was wondering if u cud help me fix the sound quality, i dont know were do find my sound card stuff. you can reach me on AIM at pokesmot2400

ty

U

Unregistered Offender

Of Mice and Microphones

Logitech is famous for screwing things up. Doesn't anyone remember "lmouse.vxd/lmouse.drv" from the Windows 95/98 days? You install a Logitech mouse, then you reboot and ^%&$*%#&^* the FARGGIN OS is shot. It only loads in safe mode. A repair install does nothing. Restore from backup? Naaaaah ....Norton Utilities... god help you if you had this installed too.... no.. we got real friendly with FDISK....

Damn you logitech you didnt even reply to our complaints and you had no help to offer.

damn you

Jakal

Tech Monkey
Um, sorry Offender. I didn't know we had "Logitech Customer Care & Support" in our name. I'll be sure to get that changed.

I never once had a problem with any of my USB Logitech mice while using Windows 98 or SE. I used current drivers, set it up, and fragged.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
Well, that would pribibly be why you never had a problem with it. It was an issue back in 95, and in OSR1 98. But the time OSR2 and SE rolled it was anone issue.

You have to be old school to know about that problem. Becuase the issue witht eh driver was a cary over from win 3.11 so yeah, OLLLLD problem. Obviously Logitech has getten better since then with their drivers, and their products. But every now and then, they really screw the pooch.

Jakal

Tech Monkey
I did have 98, and 98SE, and don't remember the problem with 98. It could be that I didn't have one of the earliest releases. I just never had that problem.

Oh, and I still have the 2 install disks around here somewhere. :) :D lol