Sennheiser PC150 Headset

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
We took a look at the PC150s big brother a few weeks ago, but these are more apt to be perused due to the fact that they cost half of the price. You'd expect these to sound far worse than the 165s... but they don't.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!

U

Unregistered

PC150

I noticed you left the noise reducer off the 150 while reviewing it. I saw this because I did the same thing not on purpose though, It was stuffed in the hole in the back of the package. I didn't even know The 150 came with one until I was comparing the 165 with the 150 to see what it was exactly that cost so much more. I came to the same conclusions as you. The 150 works great I just wanted the usb connector the front headset plugs are not connected on my computer and it's in a tight spot so connecting the plugs aren't easy. Do you know of anyone that sells just the usb connectors? It seems the headset manufacturing companies a using the usb adapter as the leader to get people to buy new headsets. I can't find anyone that just sells the adapter.

Buck-O

Coastermaker
The PC150 is a good set of cans for the general computer user/gamer. THey are comfortable for reasonably long periods of time, have better then average sound in this segment (though i wouldent put them up against a set of Grados, or even mid-hugh Senheisers for that matter, but for the PC world, they are more some of the best), and are reasonably priced.

THe one thing, as you noted, that really lets this set of headphones down, is the quality of them. Saddly, they look and feel a bit flimsy, and they are.

I have had experience with these headphones before, and while i was pleased with the sound, the poor quality reared its ugly heada fter the first 8-10 transports to the local LAN.

Im not one to twist cables, or to abuse them by wraping them around the base (twisting the internal wires), ive been around sound and electronic equipment to long to know better. That said, the main wire on the 150's began to get a bit dodgy after a while. Where if you moved the wire, the speakers would get staticy. Seconedly was the microphone. The internal wiring ont eh microphone is free floating. And, as a cost saving measure, is ran to about the maximum safe limit on its way to the microphone bezel. As a result, the more you flip the mic up and down, the more it stress's the wires, and the more likely they are to break a soldering joint, or to fail internally. If you the kind of person who uses the mic constantly on skype, or G-talk, or in game caht with Ventrillo, or some other program, and simply leave the mic boom down, you probibly would never experience this problem. If on the other hand you are like me, and listen to music alot, or watch movies on your PC, and arent interested in having the mic boom in your face all teh time, and move it up and down frequently...it will stress the wires, and they will fail.

Mine started to have crackling when i would jiggle the main cord at the ear piece. Not much longer after that, my mic stopped working. And then eventually the right speaker went out completely. ANd made the cans useless. ANd i tossed them.

I then picked up a CHEAP set of plantronics headphones for $20, and have had no problems with them yet. ANd i have abused them ALOT. Including stepping on them one time in the dark. And honestly, aside from a little lack of bass, the plantronics produce better mid and mid highs then the Senheisers. Although in the bass and high department, the Senheisers where much better matched, and seemed to have better extentsion. But none the less, i do feel a bit cheated at the fact that a $20 set of headphones performs as well as a $50 pair. ANd has lasted longer as well.

F

friedricey

not that good 5/10

I bought these for $60 in Australia and didn't like them at all. The sound was ok but not special and the microphone was ok but not as spectacular or any different to the usual microphones.

- slides of when i tilt my head
- uncomfortable after half an hour
- very flimsy build
- cable very think
- expensive