If Mac OS was offered on PC, would you buy?

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
In reference to the news post here, would you ever consider purchasing OS X if it was available on the PC?

I would. But what aggrevates me more, is the fact that Dell's customer base have been asking for AMD based systems for over a year now, and they have not budged. But all of a sudden, he states how much he would love to have Mac OS X available on the PC. I think he has his priorities messed up personally.

Either way, would you buy it?

madmat

Soup Nazi
His priorities are right in line, OS-X will be running on Intel powered machines from apple, he sells Intel powered machines...taking a bite out of apple with their own OS, how much better could it get?

but in answer to your question, yes if and only if they manage to hammer in support for windows based apps...I really don't like the idea of having 2 OS's on my machine, one for just everyday computing and one for gaming and such.

This is why I haven't bothered with the penguin.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
I'd still rather have an option to buy AMD based laptops instead of being forced into Intel. If I wanted OS X that bad, I would buy a mac. :p

madstork91

The One, The Only...
The question owul dbe how would the OS x handle a different user interface all togeather? I mean would the masses really want to switch to one button use?

And how would they even handle that? Make people buy an "OS x mouse" ?

I personally like having all the buttons on my mouse that i do now ty vm...

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
As far as I know, you don't have to use a one button mouse. There are programs out there to take advantage of the others.

Apparently, Apple has a 2-Button mouse in the works anyway. People who do use Macs though, don't usually complain about the 1-Button mouse.. it just works. If you never used a PC before, but just a Mac, you would likely think the same way of a 2-Button mouse.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
The Dell/Intel thing is one of AMD points to take Intel to court. They are claiming that Intel is using bad business practices to strong arm the OEM's into useing their CPU's. This could be a interesting trial. I for one have bought a bit of AMD stock. I am hoping that it will leap up should they win the case against Intel. Even if they dont this is pretty good publisity for AMD, not because it will gain AMD anything aside from makeing Intel look bad.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
If anyone comes out of this case, I hope to god that Dell begins to offer AMD's in their computers. My laptops fast, but I want an AMD. They tend to run cooler, and are better for when I feel like gaming.

If they get AMD's in there, I will respect them more.

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
I have nothing against Intel, AMD just needs to market themselves as a peoples CPU better. Intel has been around forever and its just a name that the people recognise. Should Dell or other OEM's start using AMD then it would bring AMD into the spotlight more and more. Gateway's eMachine division is all ready using A64's in their higher end PC's......eMachine and higher end PC in the same sentence makes me LOL. Anyway, more power to AMD....I love them!

madstork91

The One, The Only...
Sorry... I just dont trust AMD...

I am however starting to LOVE low prices... and thats where I may finally just give in. I know intell is spending alot on R&D, but I'm a college kid (albeit a rich college kid, but a college kid none the less)

eMachines is a division of gateway? woah! /end.ignorance

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
eMachine was purchased my Gateway in June of 2004.

Not trying to start anything with anyone but can you please give reasons why you dont trust AMD? Intel has nothing that can match it's preformance in gaming. The differance anymore between the two chip makers in multimedia tasks is so minute that you have to go AMD for value alone. The prices are great. AMD owns Intel on the sever scene. The only thing I wold purchase an Intel for would be a Pentium M, based on the good old PIII architecure which proves that Intel's pushing of the P4 was a step in the wrong direction. The Dothan core P-M's are monsters in every aspect that makes a proc relevant.

It's a good thing that these forums are no larger than they are or this could turn into an ugly fan boy thread quickly!

I love rich college kids.

If you must distrust one CPU manufacturer, I vote for Cyrix or VIA as they are not AMD. Fanboys, Mount up!

Last edited:

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
STORK! DUBYEW TEE EFF?

Don't trust AMD? The thing is, I have a local friend who doesn't 'trust' AMD either. The reason is because they heard they sucked. That's the only reason.

Back in the day, everyone was pro Intel, and disregarded AMD in every respect. Back 5+ years, I'd agree that I prefered Intel. Since then though, AMD has blown away Intel in everything, except Multi-Media development.

AMD is catching up in the Multi-Media too though. Since they incorperated SSE3 into Rev. E, I expect that they will continue that trend in order to completely overtake Intel.

We'll see ;)

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
OK, I am basing this comparison of Intel versus AMD on AMD's flaship proc, the FX-57. The only CPU's that beat the FX in multimedia is the Intel dual cores and then only the high end ones at that...........but wait a second, the new AMD 4800 X2 trounces virtually all Intel chips, single OR dual core, hands down. Now I know one of my main arguments for AMD was the value and I am not talking about 2 chips that will set you back a cool grand but when you think about who purchases PC's strictly for multi media purposes, they more often than not have the money to shell out so if you want the best, go AMD. Best Dual core, best server CPU and best gaming/desktop CPU. Intel holds the notebook game by the short hairs but AMD trumps them in everything else. This is of course my personal opinion and I in no way think that Intel is a bad company but then again benchmarks don't lie...

madstork91

The One, The Only...
LOL "DUBYEW TEE EFF?"

I dont like to just game...

I like to dl things, listen to music, surf the web, watch videos, and talk to ppl on trillian... ALL AT THE SAME TIME AND WHILE PLAYING GAMES.

I've never tried an AMD because everytime I research them their strong points are performance with games and their bad points are in the multi tasking.

Oh and even though they run cooler... they tend to want to shut down more often.

Last edited:

Greg King

I just kinda show up...
Staff member
So are you saying that you haven't researched an AMD product since the A64's dropped? What you are saying was/is true for the Athlon XP line. They did game equally and sometimes better than their Intel counterparts but the A64's have taken some of Intel's thunder, actually damn near all of it. There is nothing wrong with Intel but is your going to down AMD, at least use some recent, relevant proof against them.

Either way you look at it, we need some fresh faces to open up our intelectual conversations that we are having (fanboy bullshit :))

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Well, for what you mentioned Stork, it would run the same on Intel or AMD. Intel is only noticable for hardcore Multi-Media editing, such as program compiling and movie/picture compressing or whatever.

Since my PC is hawt enough, I'd freak out likely if it was an Intel. Heck, after an hour of being on, my laptop is freaking hot.

At any rate, AMD for teh win. I'm sorry, but even top professionals are starting to sway to AMD.

madstork91

The One, The Only...
**All of the above mentioned + model skinning, photoshop, sound/music editors

Eh I may be wrong... But not according the the article that ROB had posted for benchmarks on the latest AMD and Intel in one of his news reports about 2 months ago... (I havent done any "research" since then because I've been home)

Summary: Amd had hard shut downs more often, over heated when being OCed more often trying to keep up with w/e intel ship they were putting it against. Few minor details in performance.

Oh and I'm not a fanboy of anything except Blizzard... And even to them lately I'm more of a pissed off digruntled ex lover.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Bah. I'll have to get an Intel board and chip on the table in the future.

Still, <3 for AMD.

MacMan

Partition Master
One button mice... were have you been?

As a Mac and Linux user I must ask: when it comes to the one-button Mac mouse, where have you been?

Multi-buttoned mouse support comes built-into Mac OSX and all Apple mice are now multi-buttoned even though they look one-buttoned.

Personally I use both a Microsoft multi-buttoned and Dynatech mouse. Just plug it in and Go!

The question owul dbe how would the OS x handle a different user interface all togeather? I mean would the masses really want to switch to one button use?

And how would they even handle that? Make people buy an "OS x mouse" ?

I personally like having all the buttons on my mouse that i do now ty vm...