Top 8 Vista Annoyances

V

Vince

Here's a sobering read on what Vista could end up costing us all in the long-term: http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/vista_cost.html - To call them annoyances might be an understatement. :( I hope they don't become fully realized like the author feels but that content management and Microsoft's goal of nickle and diming us all through their own locked down software distribution model makes me uneasy.

slugbug

Coastermaker
My major annoyance is the poor drivers that are being released for Vista. It works fine until I install Nvidia graphics drivers, then it crashes hard.

U

Unregistered

Vista

I bought an Ausus VX@ lamborghini with Vista Ultimate 4 months ago; had no porblems until a month ago I downloaded a bug that caused the message "Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working" to pop up on the screen every 5 seconds, and freeze the machine until I closed it. Ultimately I had to reload Vista form the "Recover" disk (Asus does not provide an OEM O/S disk for full reloading). After that Vista has gone from whatever to a nightmare. Some of the issues I face regularly: I never know, upon powering up, whether my wireless bluetooth mouse will be recognized. Half the time it is and half the time it isn't, and when it isn't, there is nothing I can do about it(Asus tech support has been absolutely PATHETIC regarding this). I use yahoo messenger to chat, and when I shut it down after a session, it requires at least 45 seconds to disappear from the screen ( if I click twice on the close button the whole damn machine freezes up). Several times after closing yahoo I have tried later on to open it again only to find it will not open; rebooting has been my only option. I have MS Visual Studio 2005 Pro on my machine, which requires Service Pack 1 ( a 431 meg download) as well as Service Pack 1 Update for Vista, to work properly on Vista. Running the first download exec was no problem, but when I try to run the second download exec, the machine sends a message saying it can't be run because the system it addresses is not on the machine. This has happened several times since the reload I mentioned above.
I have had several more issues that I cant even think of at the moment; I have reloaded the o/s 3 times in the past 5 days and each time there have been a different collectionj of "problems" to deal with. It reminds me of the Catholic school nuns who think they know better than everyone what's best for everyone; Microsoft seems to think too mach here; we don't need someone else telling us what we want or need in an O/S; what we want is something that works for us, not against us.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Ouch, sorry to hear about your troubles. Vista is problematic, but you seemed to be hit much harder than most would imagine.

> "I never know, upon powering up, whether my wireless bluetooth mouse will be recognized."

I've had that same problem, with two different notebooks. I am not sure whether it's Vista to blame or the mice that were included, though.

I feel your pain, seriously. I wish I had some suggestions for you, but you are having far more than one problem. One thing you might consider is installing your own copy of Windows XP, since ASUS provides all of the drivers for your notebook on their website. I'd link you directly their if their website wasn't so useless.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Windows History

I'm wondering how many have gone through the whole history of the Windows OS.

There were major leaps that caused many complaints going from one version to another.
I have used all the OS's since Win 3X, the biggest goof I have seen is Win M E. Drivers are a nightmare for this OS
I'm using Vista Ultimate on a clean install, new maching, and no problems such as were mentioned.

Of course some programs won't work, have you tried to load a Win 3X program on Win 98? CRASH

I work with customers and their operating system everyday, I havent seen these problems.

Merlin

A

Arvy

Speaking of Top Annoyances, how could you fail to mention Vista's "improvements" to Windows Explorer?

It not only forgets folder view option settings at random intervals; it has its own very definite and quite arbitrary notions about what those settings should be. So much so that it simply reverts to its own folder view preferences whenever it's in one of its totally unpredicatable bad moods. It seems that it only needs to detect one image file included in a folder that is otherwise full of code, or logs, or whatever.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
So far, my only annoyance with Vista is the pain in the ass it is installing a clean version with the upgrade CD's. To install the 64-bit upgrade Vista, you are supposed to be running a 64-bit OS. There are no clear explanations of this anywhere on M$'s site. You can do a clean install with the upgrade disks, but it does take alot longer. You have to install with no CD key, then upgrade with no CD key and then change the CD key once you are logged onto the second upgrade install. If you ask me, the 64 bit version is better as well. Seems to not have nearly any of the bugs I read about, and I have yet to have a single driver problem, although all my hardware is recent vintage.

Rob Williams

Editor-in-Chief
Staff member
Speaking of Top Annoyances, how could you fail to mention Vista's "improvements" to Windows Explorer?

That in no way is Vista-exclusive. I have that problem with XP all the time.
That is, if you are referring to how the folders change the views of the files you are looking at (thumbnail view, slideshow view, etc).

It's annoying though, I'll give you that.

B

Brian

Microsoft

VISTA IS YOUR FRIEND. YOU LOVE WINDOWS VISTA.

Such is the attitude of Microsoft. I'm sure they invested millions in this product, but the end result -- and their "everything is beautiful" attitude -- is just insulting.

As an experienced Windows user and technician I have used and abused Windows XP since pre-RC1. I've seen what it can do and am painfully familiar with its many rough edges -- and yet Windows XP remains the best Operating System of all time, when compared as a whole to other products (possible exception, Mac OS X, but thats an argument for another day and another platform).

When Microsoft released Vista, to me it is as if they said, "Screw you world, we're making you our guinea-pig whipping boys(/girls), and you're gonna like it."

I heartily agree with every one of the author's points. And I have yet to meet a single individual who is actually having a GOOD experience with Vista, despite all the pretty graphics intended to Ooh and Ahh us into tranquil submission.

But fundamentally, the question that needs to be answered, is WHY? Why did they take what was essentially a high quality, highly usable Operating System (XP), despite its flaws, and decide to CHANGE practically EVERYTHING to give us a less stable, more annoying, more confusing product (which we all have no choice but to adopt, now or in the near future)?

I don't have an answer, though I can think of a few possibilities, all of which involve padding the pockets of MS executives at the expense of a world population that has come (sadly) to depend on their organization.

Unlike the author, I have very few good things to say about Vista. Admittedly, if it weren't for WinXP, I'd say its a pretty good interim solution and a vast improvement over the likes of Win 9x and 2k (and still basically usable by normal folk, unlike *nix)... but after Windows XP, Vista is one of the most tragically disappointing and even infuriating steps backwards in the evolution of the computing industry.

And Microsoft still wants us to think they've got something special.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
LOL!!!!!! Let me guess, you installed it on your old P3 and now have problems.........

The biggest problem with Vista is that it exposes the weaknesses of older hardware. I find that guys like me, with all new tech hardware, seem to have no issues with Vista at all. I love Vista. It is a major step forward for M$ and XP cannot hold a candle to it. I do find that it is a shame that even with last gen hardware, too many people have problems. But I do fondly remember the introduction of XP and the world ending predictions from people like you about it.

GET OVER IT!!! XP IS A DYING LAME DUCK!!!

XP is dying and needs to be put in a home. Surprisingly, SP3 for XP will include a few new features, but this will be it for it. Vista runs great and 64 Bit Vista runs even better than the 32 Bit version as well. Next time you need to rant, try actually joining the forum and maybe your "credentials" could possibly make you not sound like a complete ass.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
Still not having any problems with Vista Ultimate.
I did a clean install on the system below.
The whole complete install took 18 minutes as opposed to XP taking 45 minutes on the system before this one.

I see a lot of gripeing going on by those who don't even use Vista.
WTF ?
So what problems are people having????
A list maybe?

U

Unregistered

Windows Vista

I had a situation happen to me. My computer came up saying "an unauthorized change has been made to windows." Please click here for a fix. I did, and it took me to Windows Genuine and said that I don't have genuine windows. I do. A box kept popping up saying, I may have pirated software. Techs couldn't help me. I had no desktop, no bottom icons, and no control panel. I finally took out some microsoft updates as that is what some forum I found told me to do and uninstalled Kapersky antivirus that I had just downloaded for a trial. Note: techs said that I could uninstall in safe mode and it would not let me uninstall Kapersky. I searched for four days and thought I would have to bring PC to repair shop. Then I went to google and clicked to download bit defender. Oh, and by the way, my comp would just shut down when I didn't click anything right in the middle of anything I was doing. Bit Defender told me to uninstall any other antivirus and I knew I couldn't do that with my windows working only in limited mode. But, thank God, Bit Defender went ahead and uninstalled it for me automatically and installed theirs and upon restart, I got my desktop back. My system restore wouldn't work during all this either. Now, my windows defender won't work and all my microsoft updates fail, no matter what I do. My network configuration has been changed. I don't understand that, but that is what Bit Defender says. Also, it says my profile has been changed. I don't understand that either. But I need to give thanks to Bit Defender for unknowingly fixing my machine halfway as I really couldn't afford a repair bill after just buying this piece of crap they call Vista at Best Buy.

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Let me guess, you also like to download music or movies? You tend to click on links without thinking? You made sure you had no virus' or spyware? You expect a trial version of an overpriced poor working anti-virus to do much of anything useful? Sure sounds like ALOT of user error. I also have been running Vista for some time with no problems at all. Sorry to say it, but I guarantee it was something you did to cause this.

Merlin

The Tech Wizard
I had a situation happen to me. My computer came up saying "an unauthorized change has been made to windows." Please click here for a fix. I did, and it took me to Windows Genuine and said that I don't have genuine windows. I do. A box kept popping up saying, I may have pirated software. Techs couldn't help me. I had no desktop, no bottom icons, and no control panel. I finally took out some microsoft updates as that is what some forum I found told me to do and uninstalled Kapersky antivirus that I had just downloaded for a trial. Note: techs said that I could uninstall in safe mode and it would not let me uninstall Kapersky. I searched for four days and thought I would have to bring PC to repair shop. Then I went to google and clicked to download bit defender. Oh, and by the way, my comp would just shut down when I didn't click anything right in the middle of anything I was doing. Bit Defender told me to uninstall any other antivirus and I knew I couldn't do that with my windows working only in limited mode. But, thank God, Bit Defender went ahead and uninstalled it for me automatically and installed theirs and upon restart, I got my desktop back. My system restore wouldn't work during all this either. Now, my windows defender won't work and all my microsoft updates fail, no matter what I do. My network configuration has been changed. I don't understand that, but that is what Bit Defender says. Also, it says my profile has been changed. I don't understand that either. But I need to give thanks to Bit Defender for unknowingly fixing my machine halfway as I really couldn't afford a repair bill after just buying this piece of crap they call Vista at Best Buy.

Dummy, never do that, if you don't know what it is.......don't click on it, just close on the red X

Merlin the Coastermaker

Sheeeeesh

U

Unregistered

just couldn't keep my mouth shut

I first tried Windows at version 1.0 (!)

At version 3.0, I began actually using it regularly.

Last year I became a Mac user. Just couldn't take it any more. It was that activation deal you mentioned. (Also I could never find a backup solution that was as reliable as I would have liked.)

I reserve the right to experiment with my system and change things as often as I like. When that activation deal locked me out of using my own system legally, I just lost it.

...and never looked back. All of my problems are gone. I could see no happy future as a microsoft customer, but this thing I can live with.

Perhaps not the pillar of righteousness that some of the fanboys might have you believe, but a workable solution, at least. FWIW, and especially YMMV...

b1lk1

Tech Monkey
Well, you obviously have more money than brains since I have changed my system so much in such a short time and never have I ever been locked out of my software. I have never had a single activation issue and I have always been able to reactivate ANY copy of legal Windows, Vista included. Sometimes it takes a 3-5 minute phone call for a new installation ID, but that is free, including the phone call. So you see, you have failed in not only life, but being able to do something so simple as activating Windows.

PS: How's the gaming on that POS Mac? Oh yeah, they suck and can't play any modern games worth playing. How about upgrading and experimenting with hardware on those Macs? Oh yeah, you can't since most hardware manufacturers don't support your overly proprietary Macs. You see, I like the ability to buy pretty much ANY piece of hardware made and use it in my PC. Since you can't do that on a Mac, I guess you stopped experimenting and became one of the Apple Trolls....