Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > General > General Technology

General Technology Anything tech-related that doesn't fit into another category belongs here.

Old 10-05-2011, 08:24 PM   #1
Tharic-Nar
Techgage Staff

Default The loss of a Visionary: Steve Jobs Passes

A few moments ago, Apple's front page was changed to reflect the passing of a visionary; Steve Jobs. This is a very sad day, with our heartfelt sympathy going out to his friends and his family. No details as of yet have been released, but the Board of Directors at Apple have released the following statement:

You can read the rest of our post and discuss here.
PSU: Corsair 1000HX - Case: Thermaltake Xaser VI Full Tower - CPU: Intel Core i7 2600 @3.8GHz - Cooler: Thermaltake FRIO - Motherboard: ASUS P67 Sabertooth - Memory: 16GB Corsair Vengeance LP Arctic 1600 - GPU: 2x AMD Radeon HD 5870 - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB 6Gb/s +1TB +2TB storage - Audio: ODAC + O2 Amp, ASUS Xonar DX
K/B: Corsair K90 - Mouse: ROCCAT KONE XTD - Monitor: DELL U2410 - Speakers: Corsair SP2500 - Headphones: Beyerdynamic DT990 - Mic: Blue Yeti USB Microphone

- I need Fiber to fix my Irregular Bandwidth Syndrome -
Tharic-Nar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Kayden
Techgage Staff

As much as I hate Apple I always respected what Steve did. There is so much that would not have been accomplished with out his vision. Rest in Peace Steve.
Koolance PC4-1036BK Liquid Cooled Aluminum Full Tower Case (Upgraded to displace 1320watt of heat) - Koolance 360 ver 1.2 CPU Water Block - PrimoChill ICE Non-Conductive Fluid - Asus P6X58D Premium - Intel I7 950 - Evga GTX580 FTW Hydro Copper 2 x2 in SLI - Tt SMART M1200W PSU - Kingston HyperX 12GB 1600 XMP - Klipsch 5.1 THX Cert Speakers - Sata II OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, Kingston 120GB SV300, WD 2TB, & 320GB - Seagate 1TB - Cyborg RAT 7 MMO Mouse - Logitech G19 - Logitech G13 Gameboard - 1-over-3 Viewsonic's VA2448M-LED 24-Inch for Nvidia Surround - Ergotech Triple Horizontal LCD Monitor Arm Desk Stand

Kayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:36 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Time to admit that I choked up and shed tears over this news. I don't like Apple much... that's obvious. But what's also obvious is that Steve was a brilliant man who innovated and forced his competitors to do the same. He took a company about to collapse and turned it into the most profitable tech firm on the planet. Neither of these are small feats.

It's unfortunate that Steve was not able to live long enough to see his first authorized biography released. You can bet that it's going to be an amazing - and upsetting read when it's released.

RIP, Steve.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:45 PM   #4
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Horrible news, even when expected, is still horrible.

I have had an iPhone for almost three years and I cannot picture life without it. I know that sounds sad but it has been integrated into almost every part of my life. Correspondence, gaming, culinary adventures, media consumption and sharing and even at times, my love life. Every single corner of my life involves this bit of technology that Steve brought to the masses.

I got my first Mac Book Pro about a month ago and while I still prefer my windows machines, I see the merits in the OS. On top of that, one cannot argue that Apple makes the best computers on the planet from a design standpoint.

However, the biggest mark that Steve left on my life was in his involvement with Pixar. So many of their movies stand out to me because I happen to see them in huge points in my life. I saw Toy Story with a couple of friends. It was the last movie I saw in the local theater before it shut down. My college girlfriend and I would watch Monsters Inc repeatedly. My fiance (wife in a few short days) watch Up all the time and I have seen that movie make her cry.

So many powerful moments in one life because of one man's visionary ambition. Computer animation was the future when he bought Pixar. He saw it when nobody else did. That includes Disney. Steve willed it upon the masses and the teams he assembled to make it happen were nothing short of magical.

Godspeed Steve. It's a darker world without your vision.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 08:51 PM   #5
MacMan
Partition Master

To me Steve was more than just a tech visionary, he was like family! I'm around his age and I literally grew up reading, listening to and buying, as well as enjoying his great products.

Steve might have been one of the world's richest men, but he said many times that he never did it for the money. He gave up over 30 billion dollars in stock options, worked for a measly one dollar per year and was more concerned about his family than any other thing.

I didn't shed a tear on the news, as I knew he was most likely going to die soon, but I too must admit that it hurt me deeply to hear of his passing.
Old 10-05-2011, 09:19 PM   #6
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Oh, and Finding Nemo. I used to watch it with my girls, each of us taking turns quoting the lines as we went along. That's one of my fondest memories and I imagine it will remain that way until the end. Pixar is a factory of amazing.

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Old 10-05-2011, 09:38 PM   #7
marfig
No ROM battery

I'm still trying to cope with this news. I choked, I'm shocked and I don't feel well. It just doesn't seem real that the world lost Steve Jobs. I hate that disease! God, how I hate it!

I didn't like Jobs, as one expects to like or dislike a person from their demeanor, actions and words. From very early (way back in NeXT) Steve Jobs just stroke me as an unlikable person. As the years moved, the way he expressed himself -- and especially as he conducted business -- just didn't help. And with him Apple, the company he helped found, the one that fired him and then hired him back. Steve Jobs is a pivotal figure in the passions and hates surrounding this company. And for conducting business this way I will never forgive him.

But there was also Steve Jobs. The inventor, innovator, technician and computer scientist. The Steve Jobs that gave me NeXT, one of the most brilliant machines I ever put my hands on. The Steve Jobs that reinvented personal computers with the original Macintosh and the Steve Jobs that was greatly influential on the reinvention and re-purpose of mobile computing. That Steve Jobs was taken from us and we all lost a genius, a hero and an historical figure.

RIP
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 10:09 PM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Great words, guys.

I happened upon Boing Boing this evening and...

Click image for larger version

Name:	boingboing.png
Views:	129
Size:	125.8 KB
ID:	1288

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 10-06-2011, 12:00 AM   #9
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Oh man!

RIP Steve Jobs!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 12:14 AM   #10
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Another cool picture:

Name:  320713_10150408125976495_600746494_10127004_239522066_n.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  7.7 KB

Old 10-06-2011, 03:02 AM   #11
Glider
Coastermaker

Well, I'll probably get the wrath of the world for stating this, but every day thousands of people die.

I admit he was a heck of a salesman, he could sell the iFridge to the Eskimos... Revolutionary, a lot less, he just got away with "borrowing" stuff from other a lot better then average Joe...

However, I do think Apple lost one of his greatest assets, as Jobs was the face of Apple.

Obviously I wish his family and friends all the best, but I already hate the hype that is going to follow his death...
Old 10-06-2011, 07:06 AM   #12
Optix
Basket Chassis

As I read through this thread I was worried that it would come down to me to say it but Glider beat me to the punch (lol @ iFridge).

Regardless, Jobs has been the symbol of Apple more than the actual logo since I started getting heavily into computers and technology. I'm sure I'm not the only one either.

Like him or not, he was a genius when it came to marketing, but a visionary? I think not.

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:44 AM   #13
marfig
No ROM battery

He's author or co-author in over 300 patents. He pretty much defined the road for personal computers GUI with the Macintosh. In the late 80s he was already building a system developed on Object Oriented principles, long before C++ became a mainstream language. He completely changed the panorama of mobile computing in recent years, single-handedly introducing the biggest user and mentality shift in computing history since IBM with the PC or the Internet.

I have an hard time picturing him as anything else but a visionary man. Although, admittedly he was a lot more things than that. And many not pleasant. I was just a few minutes reminded by my wife of his rejection stance on philanthropy, for instance.

Quote:
Obviously I wish his family and friends all the best, but I already hate the hype that is going to follow his death...
Hopefully all will be gone in a week or two and Apple will be back to competing in a market defined by offer and demand rules. I don't have any heart on Tim to steer the boat from here on. Especially with Jobs sudden death. I have my suspicious Apple leadership isn't such a consensual issue as we've been lead to believe (these things never, rarely, are). I'm expecting quite a few chairs changing places over the next few years.

Meanwhile the real threat to Apple is looming. My personal belief is that Apple is reaching the evening of its golden age, with competitive and attractive alternatives to both its flag products. The Apple of today is the exact same Apple of the past, too strung up on a few key businesses and highly dependent on them for survival. If we have seen a giant build up from there in the past 10 years, it was simply over the lack of a real competitive market. But as the market reshape and all the slowpokes take their place, Apple will be left competing toe to toe. And Apple has never succeeded in that. When it was time to open up, Apple would tighten the grip on it's products even further, and lose market share by the minute. By the 00s, Apple was a dying company with a market share of less than 5% IIRC in the personal computer world.

Should be interesting to see how much of this Apple-way will remain after the passing of Steve Jobs and how this company will reinvent itself once the still embryonic market of cellphones and tablet devices solidifies.
Artic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2;
2x Samsung SyncMaster S43NW 8000:1 (1440x900)
Logitech K120 Keyboard and Logitech Performance Mouse MX
marfig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #14
Optix
Basket Chassis

Not to stir up trouble but...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/busine...PPL_story.html

Didn't Nokia and Apple repeatedly fire shots across the each others bows about stealing technology? Maybe it's on a personal level that they say this but I can't help but think that Nokia is sitting there smiling.

"Now he won't be stealing our ideas!"

Intel i5 3570K, MSI Z77Z-GD55, 4x2GB Kingston Genesis 2133mhz, 120GB Mushkin Chronos SSD, 1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue, Intel 210 cache drive, MSI 7850 Power Edition OC, Corsair H100, Silverstone Strider 750w Gold, Killer2100 NIC, Corsair 600T SE White, LG W2242, ROCCAT Kone+, Isku & Kave, 3TB Seagate Backup+, 200GB Western Digital Scorpio Black external drive

Optix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2011, 09:44 AM   #15
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glider View Post
Well, I'll probably get the wrath of the world for stating this, but every day thousands of people die.

I admit he was a heck of a salesman, he could sell the iFridge to the Eskimos... Revolutionary, a lot less, he just got away with "borrowing" stuff from other a lot better then average Joe...

However, I do think Apple lost one of his greatest assets, as Jobs was the face of Apple.

Of course thousands of people die every day. What's the point? Someone's parents could pass away and some asshole will be somewhere to make the same comment you have made.

I politely disagree with you about Steve Jobs being a visionary. Love or hate their movies, Pixar created the computer animation movement, a multibillion dollar a year industry. The hype that surrounds his death is there because his products touched so many lives. Their phones, tablets, computers and software. Almost every facet of our lives has been touched in some form, small or large, by his vision.

Primary:

ESXi Host: