Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 05-28-2006, 07:50 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Arctic Cooling Silentium T2

Hate loud computer noise? Arctic Cooling has an all-in-one solution that already has the proper fan layout and directional airflow you need. However, it also has it's fair share of problems. Does the bad outweigh the good, in this 'case'?

Be sure to check out my review of the case! Feel free to discuss the article here once you are done

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 06:01 AM   #2
Buck-O
Coastermaker

SO where's the bag attatchment to collect all fo the dust bunnies you will be sucking up from the back underside of your desk while this is running?

Im sorry, but you could have the best designed case in the world, and the moment you made it draw air from the base, i would give it the lowest possible recemendation i could.

Suck from the front, the back, heck even from the top. But please dont bother with the bottom of the case, Hoover already has a patent on the vacume cleaner.

Yeas i realize the design is like that to help muffle noise...but still. Bad design.
Buck-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 09:04 AM   #3
Gimbal
Guest Poster

Default Not Silent Enough

I've been using Silentium 1 for more than a year now, and actually the case does not seem to collect dust more than an ordinary case would.(basicly Silentium 1 doesn't diff much -if any - from Silentium 2)

The plastic bottom where you have to place the case carefully is actually annoying, but usually I am not in a need to look inside of the case so I can live with that. It is amazing that there is no manual or other assembly instructions in the box. I can't understand this kind of marketing from the Artic Cooling.

The biggest complain for me is that the case does not appear to be that silent (remember: I am the next door guy using passive graphics cards ect. to prevent extra noise from being recorded when I do my recordings). The fans accelerate way too early to the max rotation speed where the fan noise is easily described as an audible audio source. It would have been great, if the end user could affect the rotation speeds, but as the case is it can hardly be called silent.

G
Old 05-30-2006, 11:02 AM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimbal
It is amazing that there is no manual or other assembly instructions in the box. I can't understand this kind of marketing from the Artic Cooling.
I was talking to AC on the phone yesterday, and apparently I received the 'wrong' case, so to speak. The case I had was not meant to go to anyone, because of a few issues. Apparently, the PSU is indeed supposed to have a PCI-E connecter, but I will have to see that to believe it. Also, the manual *should* have been in there, but wasn't because this was a case someone just threw to the side.

However, I still find that odd, because the box when received, didn't look like it was previously opened. AC is supposed to get back to me regarding a few complaints in the review, and I will addendum the article when she does.

Gimbal, out of curiosity, what kind of recordings do you do? I can understand the need for a quiet PC in that case especially.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 05-30-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
Jakal
Tech Monkey

This case, although nicely designed, is about 3 years too late. Would have been great when Socket A was in style. When 400w was standard for a pc. It's a clean looking case, not going to wow your buddies, but does it's job well. Space is an issue, and most are going to need more room these days.

We'll have to wait and see when that next one comes in.

P.S.
Oh lawd, is dat some Dreamcast?
Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
Jakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2006, 02:13 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

The Dreamcast will -never- die

Old 05-31-2006, 03:47 AM   #7
Buck-O
Coastermaker

Greatest Console ever...poor marketing be damned.
Buck-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 06:19 AM   #8
Jakal
Tech Monkey

I miss mine. Hell, I miss my SNES. Good times.. good times....
Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
Jakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 05:41 AM   #9
raistlas
Guest Poster

Default case problem...

Hi.I bought a silentium t2 case 2 days ago. But I am worried that the 350 continuous watt may not enough for my system. My system is Asus P5WD2, Pentium D930, 2*512 mb 800 mhz ddr ram, 250 gb harddisk, asus 7900 gt graphic card. Is this case is enough for my system. What do you suggest for this issue. Thanks for your interest....
Old 06-09-2006, 06:46 AM   #10
RazorBack
E.M.I.

It could be a bit short on power... Use THIS to work out how much power your system will need.
ATI Radeon 9800 Pro
2x 74gb Raptors in RAID0
160gb Samsung IDE
Thermaltake Armour Case
OCZ Powerstream 520W
Dell 2405FPW 24" TFT
Logitech G5
Saitek Eclipse
RazorBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2006, 06:38 PM   #11
madmat
Soup Nazi

That PSU calc is way off...according to it my system should pull close to 500W at full load. According to the Magnum EX it's closer to 200W.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2006, 03:53 AM   #12
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Hi,
I just searched google and found your review. I have the case but I want to buy the excact same mobo as the one you have used. I was just wondering if you experienced any problems using the hdd "box" and using the IDE connector at the same time? The reason I'm wondering this is that the IDE connector is placed a bit awkward on the bottom of the mobo which means that the space between the ide connector and the hdd "box" must be very very tight.
Could someone plz comment on that?

Peter
Old 08-31-2006, 09:09 AM   #13
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Hey Peter,

Hmm... I do think it would be a tight squeeze. I never used the HDD box because a few pieces broke off, so I was unable. I'd assume that it would fit, but it would definitely be a tight squeeze by the looks of things.

Old 01-24-2007, 03:57 AM   #14
Panos
Guest Poster

Default What about the new silentium pro cases?

Rob -- just read your detailed & honest review on the silentium case.

It seems that Arctic cooling has come with the second version of their case -- the silentium pro.

Are you planning a review on that too? Could you also add some power efficiency measurements?

Thanks again!
Old 01-24-2007, 12:57 PM   #15
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I will consider this, although I have an overwhelming amount of content on the go right now. I will take a look at the new version and see what it offers in comparison to this one though.

As for power efficiency... I will have to look into that one also. If I have the right equipment, it shouldn't be a problem. I am not a power guy, really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panos View Post
Rob -- just read your detailed & honest review on the silentium case.

It seems that Arctic cooling has come with the second version of their case -- the silentium pro.

Are you planning a review on that too? Could you also add some power efficiency measurements?

Thanks again!

Tags
None