Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 05-07-2006, 10:04 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 500GB

There seems to be a problem that's constant with computers throughout the years. That problem is not enough storage space to feed our habits. Whether or not you actually need *this* much storage, there's no denying it's supremeness.

Check out our review right here, and then discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 11:45 AM   #2
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

Been looking at these new drives from them... looking awesome on the perpendicular front!

Cant wait to see how that tech swap/evolution takes in the industry.

Hopefuly, performance benefits nicely from the higher platter density.

Thanks for the look at the 500GB unit. I'm looking forward to getting a few of these eventually!

1TB of file storage in a SFF... *that* will be cool!!!
Old 05-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I forgot to mention about the drive temperatures. Currently, it's at 47șC, and this is just during normal computer use. It's by far one of the warmest drives on the market, so for a SFF you would want to assure superb airflow.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 05-08-2006, 02:37 PM   #4
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

good to know!
TY VERYMUCH!!!
Old 04-25-2007, 06:45 PM   #5
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default SFF?

hey guys,

i'm a little new to this and i had a couple of questions about seagates 500GB drive (i did appreciate the review.) towards the end of the review they finally mentioned (briefly) temperatures. that's the only thing i was concerned about with buying this drive.

first of all, what is SFF? and secondly, using a nexstar 3 external enclosure (well ventilated of course,) is there any concerns for this drive overheating? how do i know when it is getting to hot? i'm just a newbie but it seems to me that by now someone would have come up with the idea of a warning tone being emitted when you were in danger of it overheating.

anyway, i'd greatly appreciate any advice. perhaps i'm being too concerned about this.

thanks again,

spaceboy

[email protected]
Old 04-25-2007, 06:53 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I wouldn't worry about temps really. They do get warm, but it won't affect the lifespan unless it REALLY gets hot (60C). I just prefer to keep a fan on them to keep things cool. If the drive is real hot, it's more difficult to keep the rest of the case cool.

Old 04-25-2007, 07:20 PM   #7
madmat
Soup Nazi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
hey guys,

i'm a little new to this and i had a couple of questions about seagates 500GB drive (i did appreciate the review.) towards the end of the review they finally mentioned (briefly) temperatures. that's the only thing i was concerned about with buying this drive.

first of all, what is SFF? and secondly, using a nexstar 3 external enclosure (well ventilated of course,) is there any concerns for this drive overheating? how do i know when it is getting to hot? i'm just a newbie but it seems to me that by now someone would have come up with the idea of a warning tone being emitted when you were in danger of it overheating.

anyway, i'd greatly appreciate any advice. perhaps i'm being too concerned about this.

thanks again,

spaceboy

[email protected]
SFF is Small Form Factor. It's the craze that can be attributed to the "cube" PC's introduced by Shuttle although it's grown to include all the micro ATX based systems coming out, the majority of which are aimed at gamers and more specifically lan gaming.

Actually the drive doesn't get that warm. A well ventilated external box should prove to be no problem for it.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM   #8
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Smile thanks rob / madmat!

thanks so much guys for the speedy response! i feel much better. from what i know now about drives, i don't think i'd buy anything but a seagate and thanks to your input, i can now relax about the one i bought today...if you don't mind though, i'd like to ask you one more question...

occasionally, i'll hear little beeps from the drive. do these mean anything? is there any such thing as a warning tone that lets you know that the drive is getting too hot? what do you guys think about the seatools diagnostic software? is it worth installing?

ok, i guess that was more than one question but i'd really appreciate your input. oh, and i apologize in advance if any of these are 'dumb' questions.

thanks again in advance,

spaceboy

Tags
None