Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 07:09 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Win an NVIDIA 3D Vision Bundle!

At the Consumer Electronics Show each year, there's always a common theme that every company seems to have a hand in, or at least one that everyone talks about. At last month's event, "3D" was unquestionably one of the common buzzwords. For good reason, too, since 3D isn't something only tech geeks care about anymore.

3D has existed in various forms throughout the years, but it wasn't until NVIDIA released its 3D Vision product in early 2009 that people were beginning to pay a bit of attention. Sure, you still have to wear glasses to see the effect, but what made the company's technology so interesting is that the effect was good, and could actually make a game or movie more exciting.

Though NVIDIA has focused more on gaming than anything else with its 3D Vision, the product also supports video and images, and in the near-future, 3D Blu-ray movies. Monitor and TV manufacturers are also beginning to see the benefit of 3D, and also the potential, and are proving it by releasing 120Hz and higher monitors that boast official 3D support right on the box.

For this contest, we're looking to get your opinions on 3D and see just how important you think it is. For your effort, you'll have the chance to win an NVIDIA 3D Vision Bundle, which includes both the 3D Vision kit and a 120Hz LCD monitor from Samsung. We'll also toss in a copy of Batman: Arkham Asylum and Resident Evil 5 to help you put the kit to good use!

• 1. How important is 3D to you for gaming? Movies? Pictures?
  • 2. Will you make sure your next TV or Monitor purchase will support 3D?
  • 3. How important are in-game physics to you?
Post your answers to these questions in this thread and you'll be automatically entered! Good luck to everyone!

Full contest rules can be found here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Old 02-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #2
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

US and Canada only!

i should move!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
Unregistered
Guest Poster

1. How important is 3D to you for gaming? Movies? Pictures?
3D in games is the most obvious of the three. It is so hard to feel part of the game without the game feeling like part of your world. With the exception of the original Sonic The Hedgehog games (I'm a sucker for old school Sonic) they have to be 3D. Movies is a different story. While not 100% necessary, ever since I saw Avatar, which was my first 3D movie I find myself hoping that more movies will be released in 3D, even if my wife and I had a headache for a few hours after. Pictures are not too big of a deal to me. I had a ViewMaster back in the day, which was pretty cool but most pictures that I deal with now are of my son. You can't improve on that perfection.

2. Will you make sure your next TV or Monitor purchase will support 3D?
TV, no. I really don't watch enough TV to warrant it. To put it in perspective we still own a VCR and it works just fine for recording one or two shows that we miss. Now a monitor, sure thing. My PC is about the only thing that I am technically up to date on, if you can call anything PC related truly up to date with the pace that new technology is developed.

3. How important are in-game physics to you?
I haven't played any games that have had true physics so it's hard to comment. Batman sounds pretty sweet as does another game that I heard of but can't recall. Basically you can blow a hole in the way and there is chunks of debris flying everywhere. I'd really like to snag a game and finally put that part of my 9800GTX+ to use.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:51 AM   #4
Optix
Basket Chassis

Ahh, crap. Call me a noob.

That's my post up above.

*looks at Rob's location*

Atlantic Canada, huh? Hello from New Brunswick!
Old 02-08-2010, 08:59 AM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Great entry Optix, good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optix View Post
Atlantic Canada, huh? Hello from New Brunswick!
Ahh, a fellow Atlantic Canadian, nice! I'm also in NB... Saint John to be exact

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 02-08-2010, 10:56 AM   #6
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default Terri

1. I very much like to play computer games, but due to frequent interruptions I prefer the turn-based strategy games such as the Sid Meier Civilization series. Therefore, 3D graphics are not as important as for more combat style games. Having said that, I spent a lot for my graphics card, and would love to see how it performs! As for movies, I think that 3D is the natural progression on the way to - - what, holographic movies shown in the center of your living room? Not as crazy as it sounds! 3D photographs would be very cool - just look at the popularity of digital photo frames. 3D would take them to the next level.

2. I suspect that the first generation of 3D appliances will be somewhat expensive (for MY budget). I will probably wait until the bugs are worked out and the price comes down a little. Now, if I were to win the lottery, well.....!

3. In game physics are not all that important to me, due to my game genre preferences.

PS - Nice site you have here! My parents are from PEI ('tho I live in Ontario) - can I join your NB club??? LOL!

Old 02-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #7
teddyfulrach
Obliviot

With regards to Gaming, 3D would create a whole new gaming experience. It would take a game like Halo to the next level, you could not be part of the environment. With regards to 3D technology in Movies these days--and especially with the release of Avatar--it's impossible to think that this is not the future of Movies. I am more of a movie buff than gaming but if 3D were to become more prominent I believe I would play more games. It's more than just a simple trick, it fully immerses you in a real life "experience". I had the opportunity to view a 3D TV last fall and was amazed by how incredible the picture quality was and the reality factor would be so much greater if it were in your own home vs a Theatre! Here's to the future of 3D technology in our homes!

Yes! I hope prices start to come down in the next 2 years as that's when I intend on picking up a 3D capable TV or Monitor

I'd say very important as it's one of the reasons I play games these days... it's for the reality factor. If you incorporate great in-game physics with 3D technology the experience would be incredible! Holobands here we come! (Caprica reference, lol)

Cheers
Old 02-08-2010, 11:03 AM   #8
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Unregistered: PLEASE register and attribute yourself to that post. We can't add you when we have no identifying information whatsoever ;-) Yes you can join our NB club, but I admit I'd have no qualm with living in Ontario. I'd like to live in Toronto I think... love that city.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #9
Terri
Obliviot

OK Rob, I'm now a member (silly me!) .. thank you for the welcome! I'm going to take a little time now and poke around the rest of your site. Cheers!
Old 02-08-2010, 11:19 AM   #10
Altrus
Coastermaker

If the winner of the contest resides in Canada, they will be required to answer our skill-testing math question: ((20+6) - 10).

Ummm...not that I live in Canada...but what exactly is that about....?

Last edited by Altrus; 02-08-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 02-08-2010, 11:30 AM   #11
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terri View Post
OK Rob, I'm now a member (silly me!) .. thank you for the welcome! I'm going to take a little time now and poke around the rest of your site. Cheers!
Thanks much, and welcome to the site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altrus View Post
If the winner of the contest resides in Canada, they will be required to answer our skill-testing math question: ((20+6) - 10).

Ummm...not that I live in Canada...but what exactly is that about....?
There's some inane Canadian law that requires some work on the winner's behalf before receiving the prize. The Government just doesn't want someone to hand over something for free, so the skill-testing question acts as a form or payment or something.

Old 02-08-2010, 11:36 AM   #12
Altrus
Coastermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
There's some inane Canadian law that requires some work on the winner's behalf before receiving the prize. The Government just doesn't want someone to hand over something for free, so the skill-testing question acts as a form or payment or something.
Wow, I thought you were making a joke...I know here in MS you have to pay a tax on items you win...not sure, but I think its only items over a certain amount retail though...
Old 02-08-2010, 01:32 PM   #13
crowTrobot
E.M.I.

I was very skeptical at first since the marketing push for 3D had increased dramatically in the last few months. Although after seeing the latest 3D movies as well as 3D game demos and how much 3D technology has changed from the simple stereoscopic colored sheets of plastic to what it is today, with 3D effects significantly more noticeable and immersive than ever before utilizing active stereoscopic shutters and advanced stereographic imaging via high refresh rates, it made a believer out of me. The time is right for the big leap into 3-dimensions.We all spend money on expensive sound systems to create an immersive 3D soundscape, why not do the same for 3D visuals?

Definitely! Right now I am waiting for the latest Acer GD235HZ 23.6-inch 1080P 120hz 3D-capable 2ms response time LCD monitor to become available in local stores. With an MSRP of $399, it's a value buy that cannot be ignored! It would be the perfect compliment for the gaming PC I am building.

Just like I felt with 3D gaming, I was skeptical at first until I tried Batman: Arkham Asylum with an 8800GT aiding for PhysX processing, and I must say, the experience was unbelievable! Not only was it pure eye-candy, it was also totally immersive and heightened the gaming experience. It was a joy cracking the villains' skulls as I smash their head on the ground and the impacted tiles break off (and stay broken off). I really felt like Batman hiding in the smoke and shadows as I stalked my prey. The scarecrow levels were particularly awesome with hundreds of independent objects flying around complimenting the nightmarish dreamscape Batman was trapped in. Needless to say, it left me with a craving for MORE intelligent implementation of Physics in games! Along with the graphics engine, the physics engine now will be something I will be looking into when purchasing the next title.

Last edited by crowTrobot; 02-08-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2010, 01:54 PM   #14
JP3G
Obliviot

Default My opinion!

I haven't see Avatar yet (I know, I should!), but as I understand, 3D is only worth it in cinema and places where a huge screen is used, so that you can immerse yourself in the movie. I just can't see all of my friends wearing glasses to watch the Superbowl... it would feel like a big bunch of tools! But as for game, I think there is a bigger potential. Gamers always want to be in the game as much as possible (Motion Blur?), at that could be the next step since the quality of 3D in games like Crysis and Far Cry pretty much reached his apogee.

Meh. It will have to be upgradeable to the current TVs, because I don't see people dishing out their 52" for another one just to get the 3D. People are happy with the TV that they have, and are only gonna switch to 3D when their TVs goes dead. And it took years for the studios to give us a good quality HD (we are still struggling on cable/satellite), and it's gonna take even more time to make the public adopt this one... imo of course!

It's essential. If there is no physics, you lose the feeling of being in the game... simple as that really...

Thanks for the opportunity!
Old 02-08-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

All of the entries so far are totally kick-ass! Thanks a ton for the support guys, and good luck on winning!

Closed Thread