Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default CM Storm Sentinel Advance Gaming Mouse

Cooler Master has just released its first gaming mouse under the CM Storm branding, and it happens to be quite good. Targeting more serious gamers, there's the ability for robust macros, all of which will be saved right on the mouse itself. To add to the cool-factor, there's even color-varying LEDs and an OLED display.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 06:27 AM   #2
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Cooler Master has just released its first gaming mouse under the CM Storm branding, and it happens to be quite good. Targeting more serious gamers, there's the ability for robust macros, all of which will be saved right on the mouse itself. To add to the cool-factor, there's even color-varying LEDs and an OLED display.

You can read the full article here and discuss it here!
They had me, right up to the part about "Right hand ergonomic design".

Y'know close to 25% of the world is left handed....

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 10:17 AM   #3
b1lk1
Tech Monkey

Unfortunately, 75% of the world does not care, lol.
Patriot PC2-6400 2X2GB LL
2 X BFG 8800GTX in SLI
Enermax Revolution 620W PSU
ASUS 24X DVD/Seagate 250GB SATA 2/THermaltake A90/Windows 7 Ultimate 64
b1lk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 11:31 AM   #4
JMMDTG
Obliviot

I've never owned an expensive gamer mouse but the macro part really sounds interesting.
JMMDTG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 01:34 PM   #5
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by b1lk1 View Post
Unfortunately, 75% of the world does not care, lol.
I am so tempted to jump on this with both feet...

But I'll simply remind you that producing a left handed version would likely bring about sales increases vastly out of proportion with the stats. They'd gain a lot more than a 25% sales increase because they'd be about the only company doing it and there are lots of people looking for it.... about 1.5 billion people, in fact.

Left handed people also have problems with scissors, tinsnips, shears, serrated knives, etc. There is a company in Toronto (If memory serves) making stuff just for lefties and they make a ton of money doing it... 25% is a very healthy market share.

Last edited by 2Tired2Tango; 09-18-2009 at 01:43 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 04:48 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango View Post
But I'll simply remind you that producing a left handed version would likely bring about sales increases vastly out of proportion with the stats.
Bill doesn't need to be reminded... he's not the one producing the peripherals. His statement is true regardless of things... companies just don't seem to care.

As for the 25% figure, that's exaggerated. I've never known the figure to be more than 10%, and a Wikipedia article backs me up on that in stating it's between 7 - 10%:

Left-handedness is relatively uncommon; 90 to 93 percent of the adult population is right-handed.

I'll also note that I know few left-handed people (not that I ask everyone I meet). You can bet that if the figure was 25%, then companies would take things a lot more seriously.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 09-18-2009, 05:19 PM   #7
Arundor
Obliviot

Quote:
They had me, right up to the part about "Right hand ergonomic design".

Y'know close to 25% of the world is left handed....
Agree with you here. As a left-hander, I understand how difficult it is to find a good gaming mouse that supports macros and on-the-fly DPI switching.

Left-handers might want to have a look at the Steelseries Xai. I'm very much looking foward to it, it appears like it may be an answer to left-handed gamer's prayers. Steelseries just needs to hury up and release the thing so that I can buy one.

Last edited by Arundor; 09-18-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Arundor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2009, 05:51 PM   #8
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Bill doesn't need to be reminded... he's not the one producing the peripherals. His statement is true regardless of things... companies just don't seem to care.
Ok... lets say your numbers are right... lets use 10% for easy math... Any company that produces and advertises for "sinistralists" (left handed people) is going to pick up a waiting market of about 600,000,000 customers. If only 1% of them actually buy, that's 6,000,000 mice at 69.95 ($70.00 for easy math) each... That's $420,000,000

Will they likely sell that many right handed copies?
Heck, simply producing left and right versions could easily double their sales.

Not caring is not smart, Rob.

Last edited by 2Tired2Tango; 09-18-2009 at 05:59 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:53 PM   #9
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arundor View Post
Agree with you here. As a left-hander, I understand how difficult it is to find a good gaming mouse...
Or just about anything else!

Old 09-18-2009, 06:03 PM   #10
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Left-handedness is relatively uncommon; 90 to 93 percent of the adult population is right-handed.
This probably correct... because many adults, especially those my age, will actually deny being left-handed (sinistral) because of the prejudices they faced about it growing up.

In first and second graders ... kids who haven't had to face the prejudices and punishments... the number is dramatically higher, Rob. In young children it's approaching 25% and may reach 30% by the time it stabalizes.

Almost all animals in the wild are left-pawed, in that when they walk they lead with their front left foot. Most primates in the wild are left handed, but quickly become right handed in captivity... due mostly to trainers putting things in their right hands.

It is only in humans and only on strength of prejudice that adroitism (right handedness) is the rule.

Last edited by 2Tired2Tango; 09-18-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:12 PM   #11
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Not caring is not smart, Rob.
You seem to be targeting the wrong people with these statements. I do think that some companies should get around to making left-handed specific mice, and it makes no sense whatsoever that there aren't more of them. Stop taking what I say out of context. I said companies don't care, not that I don't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Tired2Tango
In first and second graders ... kids who haven't had to face the prejudices and punishments... the number is dramatically higher, Rob. In young children it's approaching 25% and may reach 30% by the time it stabalizes.
Your assumption of 25% is the first time I've ever heard of a figure above 10%, so I'm willing to stick with 10%. Trust me, I'm doubtful that 15% of the population is scared of admitting they're left-handed. That's absurd to even suggest. If it was 25%, then it surely wouldn't be so uncommon, or "rare".

Old 09-19-2009, 11:34 AM   #12
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
You seem to be targeting the wrong people with these statements. I do think that some companies should get around to making left-handed specific mice, and it makes no sense whatsoever that there aren't more of them. Stop taking what I say out of context. I said companies don't care, not that I don't.
Given some of the other commentary I'm not so sure I am targeting the wrong people... but I will agree that this isn't the best place for such a discussion.

My original point was that if they must produce such a product it's not to their advantage to bias the thing to only certain users. Not only does it cost them sales money, it presents an uncaring image to the public.

I can't help but wondering how reviewers might react if some company produced a product that somehow biased itself by race or sex... Surely it is not beyond reason to expect marketplace commentary to include a sense of fairness to consumers.

Anyway... subject dropped. I can see this is heading in a direction I never wanted from my original comment ....

Old 09-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #13
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Given some of the other commentary I'm not so sure I am targeting the wrong people... but I will agree that this isn't the best place for such a discussion.
My request to you is to copy and paste absolutely anything I said in this thread or elsewhere that made me a rightful target for any of your comments. I stand behind anything I said, as I have never alluded to the fact that I'm the one who doesn't care. To add to that, I'm not the one who's using super-inflated metrics to improve my own argument.

I've made it clear here, and many times in the past, that I feel there is a greater need for left-handed mice. But it doesn't matter what I think... I'm not the CEO of any of these companies. I don't count ambidextrous mice, either. They're not more comfortable for left-handed people, they're just more uncomfortable for everyone.

Quote:
My original point was that if they must produce such a product it's not to their advantage to bias the thing to only certain users. Not only does it cost them sales money, it presents an uncaring image to the public.
The problem as I see it, is this. Companies cannot simply make a left-handed version of a mouse, such as this one. If they do, then customers are going to inevitably end up purchasing the wrong model. So in order to avoid confusion at all, companies would have to design a completely different mouse, which costs a lot of money. And when the market is 1/10th the size...

If I ran one of these companies, what I'd do is release both versions of the same mouse, but name them something completely different. That way, a gamer will have a far greater understanding of exactly what model they need. It's easier to differentiate completely different names than it is to differentiate names like, "Sentinel Advance L".

Of course, a huge "For left-handed gamers" sticker would probably work just as well.

Quote:
I can't help but wondering how reviewers might react if some company produced a product that somehow biased itself by race or sex... Surely it is not beyond reason to expect marketplace commentary to include a sense of fairness to consumers.
It's an issue, yes, but why does it have to be beat to death in every mouse review we do? I have complained in previous mouse reviews I've done that there is a real lack of left-handed mice... I just don't see the need to do that every time. Rather than point out issues with content, why not take action if you are so passionate about it? Create online surveys, petitions... anything, and get the word out there to these big companies that they need to stop favoring right-handed people. You cannot just expect all right-handed people to care near as much as left-handed people... it's not as though we fully experience the frustration.

Quote:
Anyway... subject dropped. I can see this is heading in a direction I never wanted from my original comment ....
Well, what direction were you aiming for when you first retorted Bill's comment, and then mine? From the get-go, you aimed your comments at the wrong people. We're not the ones who don't care, and even if we didn't care, I'm not sure what it would matter. It's not as though we're going to be able to do anything about it.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:36 PM   #14
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
My request to you is to copy and paste absolutely anything I said in this thread or elsewhere that made me a rightful target for any of your comments. I stand behind anything I said, as I have never alluded to the fact that I'm the one who doesn't care. To add to that, I'm not the one who's using super-inflated metrics to improve my own argument.
Naaa... it wasn't you that stepped in it and I've never said it was.

Quote:
I've made it clear here, and many times in the past, that I feel there is a greater need for left-handed mice. But it doesn't matter what I think... I'm not the CEO of any of these companies. I don't count ambidextrous mice, either. They're not more comfortable for left-handed people, they're just more uncomfortable for everyone.
Tell you what... if reviewers started docking a point or two from the scoring when a company produced a product that is not truly universal, I'm betting it would make an impression.

Quote:
The problem as I see it, is this. Companies cannot simply make a left-handed version of a mouse, such as this one. If they do, then customers are going to inevitably end up purchasing the wrong model. So in order to avoid confusion at all, companies would have to design a completely different mouse, which costs a lot of money. And when the market is 1/10th the size...
Now you're apologizing for them...

Quote:
Of course, a huge "For left-handed gamers" sticker would probably work just as well.
Exactly.

In the advertising ... "Left and right hand versions available".

Quote:
Rather than point out issues with content, why not take action if you are so passionate about it?
Ahhh... you don't know me very well, just yet... but you will discover eventually that when an issue of sufficient import comes up, I am totally relentless. You might be surprised at some of the stuff I've done...

Moreover, speaking up about "content issues" is part of doing something about it, Rob.

Quote:
We're not the ones who don't care, and even if we didn't care, I'm not sure what it would matter. It's not as though we're going to be able to do anything about it.
Sigh... If only I had a penny for every time I've heard that.

Old 09-20-2009, 08:31 AM   #15
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Quote:
Tell you what... if reviewers started docking a point or two from the scoring when a company produced a product that is not truly universal, I'm betting it would make an impression.
This quote got my attention... Whether you meant to or not you are implying products should be universal, and I big to differ.

Microsoft makes right-handed and universal-handed mice. Exact same guts in some of the models, just different styling. And I have to say after trying both versions of the same Wireless Explorer mouse the right-handed model was distinctly better.

What companies should be doing is designing targeted products to each part of the market, eg Microsoft should make left-handed mice as well as right-handed mice. When anyone compromises by designing a catch-all "universal" product one side is going to be perfectly happy with it.

As far as the numbers go, it seems 10-15% is the conservative estimate... but it depends on the definition of being left versus right-handed, and also it's not always clear cut with many ambidextrous people.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None