Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Hardware > General Hardware

General Hardware Any tech topic that can't be fit into another category belongs here.

Old 06-04-2009, 02:53 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Thermaltake Shows Off Unique Level 10 Chassis

From our front-page news:
The Level 10 chassis from Thermaltake has become one of the worst-kept secrets in tech. It was originally leaked on a few blogs a few months ago, and then showed off at CeBIT. Refinements have been made since then, and the company took the opportunity to officially unveil the unique chassis at Computex, and so far, it seems to be well-received.

This wasn't an inexpensive chassis for Thermaltake to produce, and one reason for that is the tight collaboration between Tt and BMW Group DesignworksUSA. Such a relationship can't be cheap, but the result seems to be well worth it, because Level 10 is truly unlike anything before it.

It's made unique because each portion of your computer is separated from another, and careful thought was given to isolate heat in key areas and direct airflow properly. Thermaltake says that overclockers should have no limitations with this design, so despite it being designed so strangely, the cooling-ability is supposedly top-notch.

To install components, each portion of the chassis swings open, like you can see here, which makes placing whatever you need in there a simple process. the most difficult part might be the wiring, but once done, the entire install will be unbelievably clean... as you'd expect from such a design.

Thermaltake will be building 1,000 of these $700 chassis' to kick things off, and if they sell as well as they hope they will, they'll continue to produce them until demand dies down.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #2
madstork91
The One, The Only...

Does it sound dirty when i say "I want to touch it" ?
Old 06-05-2009, 08:39 AM   #3
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

me wants! *hopes and prays they send it for a review* gonna be soo awesome!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 09:46 AM   #4
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

I have a good feeling Thermaltake will be sending out zero of these for reviews. They are just too expensive, and in order to get a good ROI, they'd have to send units out to multiple sites. Seems kind of expensive, and unlikely.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2009, 03:18 PM   #5
Doomsday
Tech Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
I have a good feeling Thermaltake will be sending out zero of these for reviews. They are just too expensive, and in order to get a good ROI, they'd have to send units out to multiple sites. Seems kind of expensive, and unlikely.
D'oh!
PSU: Corsair AX850 - Case: Cooler Master HAF X - CPU:Core i7-2600k - Cooler: Cooler Master V6 GT - Motherboard: Asus Z68 Maximus IV Extreme Z - Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8 GB-1600Mhz - GPU: AMD MSI R6970 Lightning - HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB, Seagate 2TB Barracuda Green - SSD: Intel 520 Series 120GB - K/B: Razer Lycosa Mirror - Mouse: Logitech G700 - MouseMat: Steel Series 4HD - LCD: Asus VG278H 27" - Speakers: Creative Inspire M4500 4.1 - Headset: Logitech G35 7.1

"Do not look at a man's prayers nor his fasts, rather, measure him by how well he deals with others, the compassion he shows his fellow man, his wisdom and his integrity" - Umar Ibn Al-Khattab

Doomsday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:02 AM   #6
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

You may have to exercise forgiveness for this comment, but...

I'm having one of those "What the hell were they thinking????" moments.

In a world where people are seeking ways of integrating computers into their more or less conventional living rooms and dens, this thing can only be described as the proverbial "sore thumb"... I can see this being popular amongst kids (but not with the price tag) or some over-serious game addict, but really...

I'm reminded of the "mini-stereo" systems of five years ago... ugly, stuff sticking out all over the place, bizarre colors, useless features, glaring bright displays... and look where that part of the electronics industry is now... nice clean conventional looking stuff because for the most part people stared but didn't open their wallets.
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #7
Kougar
Techgage Staff

With only 1,000 made it doesn't make sense to use many for reviews, or build many extra for review purposes since that would ruin the limited edition thing.

I am just waiting for someone to mod one to look like a borg ship... that's all I can see when I look at this case design.

Edit: Tango, it could look alright in some situations, but generally I wouldn't imagine this to be something most people would have in their living room. More like on their desk in their computer room or study... it'd look better than many plain black rectangular boxes, that's for sure..
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Last edited by Kougar; 06-08-2009 at 06:53 AM.
Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote