Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 08-15-2008, 03:50 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default ECS "Black Series" P45T-A

Need to build a new rig on the cheap? Need modest Crossfire support, and a decent feature-set? The ECS P45T-A might be worthy of your consideration, as it packs in a good amount of functionality, solid performance, a cool color scheme and of course, a good price tag, of around $110.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2008, 01:46 PM   #2
Tech-Daddy
Tech Monkey

NIce review Rob...

I did notice something that made my hair (yes, singular... 1 hair.... shaddup Greg! ) stand on end.

The placement of the SATA ports pointing straight up off of the board.

You load up 2 full sized video cards with their double spaced coolers, a majority of those ports are now lost. I ran into the pain while building Deuce, and I am now a HUGE fan of the 90 degree, side edge mounted SATA ports. Seems to make SO much more sense.

I wish more manufacturers would do their sata ports that way...

*shrug*
-=TD
Old 08-15-2008, 02:20 PM   #3
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

It's a huge problem, and one I plan to speak about to ECS when I talk to them in a few weeks time. The S-ATA placement was a little worse on the X48T-A board, but if you do have two large GPUs, say goodbye.

The new 90-degree ports are FAR more sensible, and I agree, I hope to see it more often. Seems to be the feature of an enthusiast board right now though, sadly.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 08-15-2008, 03:05 PM   #4
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Exclamation Not knock your socks off?

Seems to me it is within a few percentage points of the performance of it's much more expensive brethren. So unless I really want to overclock, the performance at the price point does indeed knock my socks off.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Besides the performance factor itself, there is more to the board, like a rich BIOS, good feature-set, non-clunky board layout, overall presentation... none of these were that good on this board.

The performance is good, and as long as you don't mind the downsides, you'll be happy.

Tags
None