Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Site HQ > Site and Forum Comments & Issues

Site and Forum Comments & Issues Comments? Suggestions? Out-right flames? Found a bug? Feel free to post about it here!

Old 03-04-2008, 12:31 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Techgage 2008 Birthday Contest - 2008 Survey

As seen on our contest page, the grand prize for this contest is a full-featured gaming PC and can be won by participating in our twenty-question survey.

The specifications of the PC are as follows:

Grand Prize PC
  • Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 (2.66GHz)
  • Motherboard: ASUS Striker II Formula (780i SLI)
  • Graphics: ASUS EN8800GT 512 x 2
  • Audio: ASUS Xonar D2
  • Memory: Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 (4 x 1GB)
  • Storage: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB (1,000GB)
  • Optical Disc: LG GGC-H20L Blu-ray Reader, LG GSA-H55LI DVD-RW
  • PSU: Ultra Products 1000W X3
  • Chassis: Thermaltake Armor+
  • Cooling: Zalman 9700LED, ZM-MFC2 Fan Controller
Other Included Components
  • Display: Dell 24" 2408WFP (1920x1200, High-Color Gamut)
  • Speakers: Logitech G51 5.1 Gamer Speakers
  • Headphones: Ultrasone HFI-550 Closed-back
  • Router: D-Link DGL-4500 Gaming Wireless Router
  • Peripherals: Logitech MX5500 Desktop, Logitech G9 Gaming Mouse
  • Software: Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate, Office 2007 Home & Student
As mentioned on the contest page, the parts for this PC were all chosen carefully by us and we feel they all represent what gamers and computing enthusiasts would love to see in their dream-rig. Below, I'll explain a little bit about each part and why we chose it.

Grand Prize PC

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450 2.66GHz
We have taken a look at many Intel 45nm processors since the official launch in November and have been impressed with the changes Intel has made over the 65nm offerings. Improved power efficiency, lower temps, SSE4 instructions and other features make this a fantastic offering. Once launched, it should retail for around $350, and for a Quad-Core 2.66GHz offering, that's a sweet deal.

ASUS Striker II Formula
ASUS is a name that's become synonymous with budget shoppers and enthusiasts alike. Their Striker II Formula board is a high-end offering that delivers extreme performance and supports NVIDIA SLI, thanks to the on-board 780i chipset. Where high-end SLI is concerned, this board is a winner.

ASUS EN8800GT 512 x 2
I've mentioned numerous times in our reviews over the past few months that the 8800 GT is the card to own right now. It offers a perfect blend of performance and price and does well to satisfy most gamers. With two paired together, the sheer power is enormous - enough to power even the latest games at high resolutions (even 2560x1600!).

ASUS Xonar D2
Rory first took a look at the Xonar late last year and was very impressed overall. The enthusiasm for that card quickly spread through the staff as three staff members now own the card, and each one could not be happier. It's a high-end offering that is really worth the price. It offers incredible sound, a fantastic bundle.. and lights!

Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 1TB
What needs to be said? We've come to trust Seagate products for a while now, and they are one of the few companies we find true faults with. Their drives are reliable, come in at a reasonable price and the warranty is industry-leading. This rig is equipped with 1,000 fantastic gigabytes and a staggering 32MB cache.

Crucial Ballistix Tracer DDR2-1066 (4GB)
Crucial is another company that's well-trusted by most anyone who they come in contact with. Their products offer great performance and look cool at the same time. The Tracer's are uniquely special because they include activity LEDs on top which beat out any other competitor on the market. It's easy to become entranced while staring at them.

LG Blu-ray Combo Drive / LG DVD-RW
Thanks to LG, this machine is Blu-ray and high-def ready. Their combo-drive is a fantastic offering as it allows reading of Blu-ray movies and also functions as a normal DVD-RW. To help save on the overall lifespan of the drive, they've included a standard DVD-RW drive as well so that you can use the Blu-ray drive for that purpose exclusively.

Ultra Products 1000W X3
This is a powerful machine, so it deserves an equally powerful power supply. At 1000W, this PSU is more than what this system needs, but that means there will be no problem upgrading down the line. And with it's modular connections, keeping a great airflow scheme is simple. This PSU comes highly recommended from our resident PSU guru Matt Harris, so you know it's good.

Thermaltake Armor+
Thermaltake has long been hailed as an industry chassis leader, and with products like the Armor+, it's easy to understand why. With it's full-tower frame and common-sense design, not to mention great looks, this chassis will look great sitting anywhere. It has plenty of room, so upgrading and keeping a great airflow is a cinch. Another version of the chassis that features NVIDIA's ESA is upcoming.

Zalman 9700LED, MFC2 Fan Controller
By far, one of the best looking CPU coolers on the market has long-been Zalman's 9500 and 9700. With it's copper-flower design, it's not only lightweight and efficient, but very cool to look at - especially with its blue LED. We used these coolers in our recent review of Intel's Skulltrail system, and it kept those CPUs cool, so the Q9450 will be no match for its efficiency. Also included is a fan controller, to help keep the system quiet when you need it to be.

Other Included Components

Dell 2408WFP
Dell's 2408WFP is a brand-new 24-inch monitor that offers plenty of functionality. It includes a high color gamut, at 110%, so it's perfect for professional photographers and novices alike. It also offers connectivity for all the popular inputs, such as VGA, DVI, HDMI and even DisplayPort... a connection-type that's just barely catching on. This screen includes a default resolution of 1920x1200 (1080p video is supported), 6ms response and a large 3000:1 contrast ratio.

Logitech G51 5.1 Gaming Speakers
Logitech's a leader in peripherals, and one company that have been listed in our review section many times over. Their G51 speakers are the successors of the X-540's, and deliver 5.1 sound that's designed for gaming. While not the most powerful set on the block, their value is very high, as Rory found out in his review from late last year.

Ultrasone HFI-550 Closed-Back Headphones
Ultrasone is a company who focuses on one type of product, because they want to make sure they excel there and don't let their focus spread too thin. Based in Germany, the company is just beginning to become a more popular name on these shores. As Rory found out in his review of the HFI-700's, Ultrasone knows what they are doing. I own a pair of their PRO 750's and can also attest to their quality... very high.

D-Link DGL-4500 Gaming Wireless Router
If there was any doubt that this was a router designed for gamers, you probably missed the top LCD which displays various information that gamers care about, such as network activity. This router even includes a small CPU that runs with an advanced algorithm to make sure that the latency in your online games are as low as possible. Finally, a high-performance router that looks totally kick-ass!

Logitech MX5500 Desktop, G9 Gaming Mouse
The MX5500 desktop consists of a robust media keyboard and the MX Revolution mouse, an offering that I personally love a lot for regular desktop work. The keyboard features an LCD like the G15, but blends in better as it should with a media offering. Because this is a gaming machine, a G9 mouse is also included, since gamers, of course, prefer wired mice when they are in the heat of battle.

Microsoft Windows Vista Ultimate 64-Bit and Office 2007 Home and Student
Pre-installed with the system will be a copy of Vista Ultimate 64-Bit and Office 2007 H&S, which includes Excel, Word and Powerpoint. We chose a 64-Bit OS due to our choice of having 4GB of RAM, but the winner will be able to reinstall using the 32-Bit version if they prefer. With Office 2007, a great software base is ready to be built upon.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:16 AM   #2
BlackAndy
E.M.I.

Thumbs up

Whoever wins this will be one lucky S.O.B.
This looks like a great rig!
I think it's great that the sponsers realize the positve influence that TechGage has on consumers.
Good luck everyone!
BlackAndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #3
THUMPer
Coastermaker

HOLY SMOKES
THUMPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:15 AM   #4
On_Wisconsin
Coastermaker

Just fyi....in Firefox...

ASUS VH242H Black 23.6" and Samsung 226BW dual monitor setup, Logitech x-540 speakers
On_Wisconsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 11:29 AM   #5
THUMPer
Coastermaker

I submitted but it didn't confirm that I did.
THUMPer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:41 PM   #6
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

On_Wisconsin, what OS are you using? We've tested it out on Firefox more than once and had no issues.

THUMPer, it's supposed to refresh the page and note that it was completed. It's very strange that it didn't, because that was a last minute bug but was squashed (I tested it five times). I'll hit up the coder and see if he can find out the problem.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter

Old 03-04-2008, 01:59 PM   #7
slugbug
Partition Master

Wow-wa-wee-wah, those are some sexy prizes
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #8
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Never got the authentication e-mail
after I submitted it about 5:30 EST this morning

I tried it again and said that it had already been used, so I guess it went through. but still never came in my email

Merlin
GTX280 GPU watercooled
Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Last edited by Merlin; 03-04-2008 at 03:19 PM.
Merlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 03:40 PM   #9
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Did you happen to use an @hotmail.com or @live.com e-mail address? It seems that for some reason, those e-mails are not making it through. Instead of going to the trash, it just doesn't appear whatsoever.

I have tested @gmail and @yahoo and those worked fine, however. I am waiting on our coder before making any decisions, but perhaps there is something that could be fixed.

If you don't receive the e-mail, don't worry, the query is not lost. I'll personally send the codes if I have to.

Old 03-04-2008, 05:23 PM   #10
slugbug
Partition Master

Changed my forum email address to my gmail account and now it works.
Survey completed

Last edited by slugbug; 03-04-2008 at 05:37 PM.
slugbug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Sorry for the hassles... I have no idea what the deal is with Hotmail. The fact it doesn't even hit the junk folder is a little ridiculous...

Old 03-04-2008, 06:39 PM   #12
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Sorry for the hassles... I have no idea what the deal is with Hotmail. The fact it doesn't even hit the junk folder is a little ridiculous...

Don;t use anything but [removed to prevent spam]

I'll keep checking

Merlin
GTX280 GPU watercooled

Last edited by Rob Williams; 03-04-2008 at 07:14 PM.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Merlin, I have removed your address from the database and believe the problem should be solved. I have signed you back up, so please let me know if you receive this new e-mail.

Old 03-04-2008, 09:58 PM   #14
Merlin
The Tech Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
Merlin, I have removed your address from the database and believe the problem should be solved. I have signed you back up, so please let me know if you receive this new e-mail.
got the email and Took the survey

Thanks, Rob

Merlin
GTX280 GPU watercooled

Old 03-04-2008, 10:00 PM   #15
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Great, that's a relief :-)