Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 12-20-2007, 12:53 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Ultrasone HFI-700 Headphones

A relative newcomer to the high-end headphone market, German manufacturer Ultrasone is making waves in the industry with their competitively-priced offerings that deliver excellent sound quality and value. We take their HFI-700 headphones for a spin, and find plenty to get excited about.

You can read Rory's full review here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:31 PM   #2
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

To further comment on the headphones' "S-Logic" design, it's important to note that this involves no extra 'processing' whatsoever. The drivers are simply mounted 'off-center' in the earcups, to involve your outer ear in the brain's own directional processing of aural information. The effect isn't artificial, like many DSP algorithms can be - it's actually quite natural and subtle.

Another thing that I didn't think much about when writing this review is the long break-in time that I allowed these headphones to have before I formed any real conclusive impressions about the sound. When I first received these headphones and plugged them into a few various sources, I noticed that no matter which source I tried, these headphones seemed to be harsh and strident in the treble reason. However, over the course of several days' worth of playing time, they began to relax quite a bit. If you should happen to pick these up, and notice a harsh treble, give these headphones a little while to 'break in' - that is, allowing the materials to 'settle in' to their final mechanical properties - and you'll notice that these headphones become much more listenable as this happens. You'll find that you want to spend more and more time listening to them.

Rory Buszka
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

Could it not be that given time you grow accustomed to the sound? My friends all accused me of having enough treble in my car stereos to pierce ears and I never noticed that there was a lot of treble until I'd listen to a different system for a while and then go back to mine. After that mine would sound brittle for a bit but given time (about an hour or two) I'd no longer notice it.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 04:10 PM   #4
jfukuro
Obliviot

Default Ultrasone HFI-700 two years later

These headphones still sound great, more than a year after I bought them! I use them not only for music, but also for skype, pairing them with Sony's ECM-719 miniature stereo microphone!
jfukuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 09:20 PM   #5
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfukuro View Post
These headphones still sound great, more than a year after I bought them! I use them not only for music, but also for skype, pairing them with Sony's ECM-719 miniature stereo microphone!
I gotta get me a microphone like that. I had a USB mic, but it sucked. I'd rather plug one straight into the sound card.

I'm with you on the headphones. I've had my PRO 750's for almost two years, and I've put them through some rough times (I can't recall how many times I've dropped them), and they still sound pristine.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2009, 08:08 AM   #6
2Tired2Tango
Tech Monkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory Buszka View Post
Another thing that I didn't think much about when writing this review is the long break-in time that I allowed these headphones to have before I formed any real conclusive impressions about the sound. When I first received these headphones and plugged them into a few various sources, I noticed that no matter which source I tried, these headphones seemed to be harsh and strident in the treble reason. However, over the course of several days' worth of playing time, they began to relax quite a bit. If you should happen to pick these up, and notice a harsh treble, give these headphones a little while to 'break in' - that is, allowing the materials to 'settle in' to their final mechanical properties - and you'll notice that these headphones become much more listenable as this happens. You'll find that you want to spend more and more time listening to them.
Nice review, Rory ... I may just give these a try. Been looking for something to replace my aging Koss set for a while and this seems a good candidate.

One thing you may want to consider is that due to the close proximity of the drivers to your ears and the resulting lack of free air around them, headphones can actually sound different to others than they do to you. I'm always amazed how much bass I get on headphones... almost to the point of disproportion, even on the good ones. This I eventually figured out is because of "high cheekbones" (a family trait) that tends to make the earcups sit differently on my head than most... Not that I mind... it's just one of those things you notice over time.

The break-in you mention is probably legitimate comment. If they have gold leafed the diaphragms on the drivers, it may take a while to overcome the "set" of the metal and get things moving freely.

Now... all I need is a Canadian distributor....

"An unexamined life is not worth living" ... Socrates
2Tired2Tango is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
None