Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:36 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default VidaBox Wireless Media Keyboard

VidaBox produces some of the finest HTPCs on the market, but until recently, they've bundled keyboards from other companies. We are taking a look at their first own offering, a wireless solution with built-in trackball. It's compact, sturdy and surprisingly impressive.

You can read Kiersten's full review here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 01:03 AM   #2
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default mouse buttons

Nice review, sounds like a solid keyboard. I have an IR one with a similar layout, and having the mouse buttons in the top left corner actually makes perfect sense for an HTPC keyboard! You hold the keyboard in both hands, and operate the trackball with your right thumb and use your left thumb for the mouse buttons so there's no need to precariously balance it in your lap to use the mouse, just pick it up!
Old 11-18-2007, 02:11 AM   #3
madstork91
The One, The Only...

i like the concept... but i honestly havent touched a track ball in YEARS

how cost effective would adding a touch pad be?
Old 11-19-2007, 11:34 AM   #4
GeekGirl
Coastermaker

We just received this from VidaBox!!!
Quote:
"To thank your readers for their time in reading your review, we've authorized a special discount code - 'techgage' (without the quotes) - which is good for 10% off the VidaBox keyboard w. optical trackball!"
~ Thank you so much!
GeekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2007, 11:36 AM   #5
GeekGirl
Coastermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Nice review, sounds like a solid keyboard. I have an IR one with a similar layout, and having the mouse buttons in the top left corner actually makes perfect sense for an HTPC keyboard! You hold the keyboard in both hands, and operate the trackball with your right thumb and use your left thumb for the mouse buttons so there's no need to precariously balance it in your lap to use the mouse, just pick it up!
I did try that, and the lightweightedness (yes I like to make up words) of this keyboard did allow for that quite easily, however I am a girl with small hands and found doing this to be awkward. I couldn't find a grip that allowed for ease of use with the trackball and mouse, as well as balancing the keyboard. Thanks for the tip though!
GeekGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Default (JUNK) Vidabox HTPC Keyboard

Pros:
decent range and battery life

Cons:
1. Pricey for what it is, if it worked good, than I guess it may be worth it
2. If you type too fast, can easily cause double key inputs, have to type slow and careful. I am a medium speed typist, but that's already fast enough to cause an unacceptable amount of double key inputs, to the point where it is useless for work.
3. Goes in to sleep mode in about 2-3 minutes(too quick), to wake it up, have to remember to hit a key once before typing away, very annoying. I always start typing, and the first letter never registers since it goes to sleep too soon.
3. No visual (lights or on screen) indications of Cap Lock or Num Lock.

Summary:
STAY AWAY, there are better keyboards out there for the same or less price. I end up getting the BTC III keyboard, worked out great. This vidabox end up being used by my 2.5 yr old son.

Tags
None