Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 01:48 AM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief
 
Rob Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 13,352
Default Logitech G9 Laser Gaming Mouse

Looking for the ultimate gaming mouse? Logitech's latest G9 offers a lot... and then some. Included is a switchable body, color-changing LEDs, 3200 DPI capabilities, MicroGear scroll-wheel, braided cable and much more. The question: Is it worth your $99?

You can read the full review here and discuss it here!
__________________
Intel Core i7-3960X, GIGABYTE G1.Assassin 2, Kingston 16GB DDR3-2133, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD (OS, Apps), WD VR 1TB (Games), Corsair 1000HX, Corsair H70 Cooler
Corsair 800D, Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Gentoo (KDE 4.11. 3.12 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.


Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 08:47 AM   #2
madstork91
The One, The Only...
 
madstork91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 1,434
Default

Not quite my MX revo... But I'm sure you were glad to get your hand on one of those wheels.

To anyone from logitech who may read this, PUT THE FREGGIN WHEEL ON MOAR MICE.

To those who have not touched a wheel like this, go get one. It is worth every $ you spend on it.
__________________
..

Last edited by madstork91; 08-30-2007 at 02:40 AM.
madstork91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 09:25 AM   #3
Greg King
I just kinda show up...
 
Greg King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,086
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by madstork91 View Post
To anyone from logitech who may read this, PUT THE FREGGIN WHEEL ON MOAR MICE.

To those who have not touched a wheel like this, go get one. It is worth every $ you spend on it.

Agreed!
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
- Carl Sagan

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:06 PM   #4
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Indianapolis, Indiana
Posts: 388
Default

Congrats on being the first, and a well-written review.
__________________
Best Regards,

Rory Buszka
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2007, 11:17 PM   #5
Unregistered
Guest Poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default Mouse Wheel

Why do they have to put in a wheel that goes left and right. I love my MX-518 and I was so looking forward to retiring it for the G5. Brought it, just to discover the side scroll. It is just not useful and always hinders my gaming by getting mixed up with a middle click becoming a left side scroll. Do people like it that much. Out of the 40 people I ask at XLan (700+ gaming event)who own the G5/G7 they all complaint about it so why did they put it in the G9?
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 02:34 AM   #6
madstork91
The One, The Only...
 
madstork91's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: TEXAS!
Posts: 1,434
Default

you could set the side scrolls to middle button. Then regardless of what you hit, you hit middle.
__________________
..
madstork91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 03:57 PM   #7
sethk
Guest Poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default No mention of mouse polling / refresh rate

One of the big things I look for in a gaming mouse is the polling rate - the default USB polling rate of 125hz leads to an input lag of 8ms, not to mention that at higher dpi it feels like your mouse is 'skipping'. I remember the first time I used a 500hz driver on a Razer mouse - it was quite a revelation in FPS games, and even in desktop use that required precision, such as Photoshop, etc.

The logitech has support for higher refresh rates - was any testing done on refresh rates or is this not configurable from the Logitech software? (You can find mouserate via google and use it to test your mouse polling rate.)
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:53 PM   #8
bot_add
Guest Poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Nice review, but it lacks some detail imho.

First of all the nice and shiny features are well covered, yet the fact that the mouse skips on surfaces such as QcK, polished wood, unpolished wood and a piece of paper is nowhere to be found. Being a low senser myself it was rather frustrating having the mouse making the hoola hoola dance everytime.
Another thing is the terrible lift off distance, which is around 4mm, twice as much as MX518 which is only 2mm.
The shape is indeed very different from anything you ever seen before (or not, now that I think of Creative's Fatal1ty 2020) and either you'll love it or hate it

Not being a hater under any circumstances, but thought this belonged to the review.

Sethk G9 is USB overclocked by default, either 500 or 1000Hz, I couldn't test it tho.
"One of the big things I look for in a gaming mouse is the polling rate"
These are the words of a nub, since you can overclock any mouse and feel a huge difference.

Thanks for making the effort and writing that review Rob.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2007, 01:52 AM   #9
MakubeX
Partition Master
 
MakubeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 277
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bot_add View Post
Nice review, but it lacks some detail imho.

First of all the nice and shiny features are well covered, yet the fact that the mouse skips on surfaces such as QcK, polished wood, unpolished wood and a piece of paper is nowhere to be found. Being a low senser myself it was rather frustrating having the mouse making the hoola hoola dance everytime.
Another thing is the terrible lift off distance, which is around 4mm, twice as much as MX518 which is only 2mm.
The shape is indeed very different from anything you ever seen before (or not, now that I think of Creative's Fatal1ty 2020) and either you'll love it or hate it

Not being a hater under any circumstances, but thought this belonged to the review.

Sethk G9 is USB overclocked by default, either 500 or 1000Hz, I couldn't test it tho.
"One of the big things I look for in a gaming mouse is the polling rate"
These are the words of a nub, since you can overclock any mouse and feel a huge difference.

Thanks for making the effort and writing that review Rob.
Rob didn't write the review. Greg did.

The lift off distance is something that can be very annoying in some laser mice. I found the MX1000 (at least way back when I bought it) to have too high of a lift off distance. I don't know exactly how much, but I know I had to raise the mouse much more than I wanted to for it to stop registering which proved to be annoying when gaming (especially in FPS). On the other hand I found the G5 to a have a pretty good (short) lift off distance. Even so, from all the mice I've used so far (not the G9 yet) my favorite mouse still is the MX518.
__________________
HP LP2065 20.1" S-IPS LCD | Lian Li PC-7077A case w/window | Asus P5Q Deluxe | Intel Q9650 4.2GHz - 1.33v
4GB G.Skill PI PC2-8800 | Asus HD 4870X2 | Ultra X3 1KW PSU | X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Front Panel| Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers

EK Supreme | EK FC-4870X2 block | Enzotech SNBW-SLI | Swiftech MCW30 | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | Laing D5 | Thermochill PA120.3 | Weapon Heatercore
MakubeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
Unregistered
Guest Poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bot_add View Post
"One of the big things I look for in a gaming mouse is the polling rate"
These are the words of a nub, since you can overclock any mouse and feel a huge difference.
Actually USB overclocking DOESN'T work on several Logitech mice including the MX Revolution and the older MX900. If you replace the driver with a 500hz version, those two mice don't respond. It does work with the Logitech 518 and the G5, but with Logitech's spotty record I'm glad to see a mouse with official support and the Revolution's gyroscopic wheel.

In Vista 64 you really have to go out of your way to disable signed driver checking, replace the USB driver with 500 or 1000hz versions which causes instabilities (and one one of my PCs running Vista 64 it flat out doesn't work.) So don't say it works on every mouse because that's not true. Official support is very nice.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 11:56 AM   #11
Unregistered
Guest Poster
 
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up artophwar's g9 review

As an hardcore gamer and Logitech fan since the early 90s I can tell you this is by far the best mouse I have ever laid my hands on. Im 64 265lbs with large hands but for some reason this mouse fits it 100x better than the g5 even despite the fact that is around 25% smaller. Logitech got the design spot on for any gamer that uses their fingers to grip and control the mouse. However I can understand why a lot of people will hate it if they have come accustom to having their palm rest on the rear of a mouse. In my opinion any hardcore gamer will use fingers because of the far superior precision you gain from it. I received my g9 in the mail yesterday and hooked it up for its maiden voyage and with a 2000dpi setting (same as my g5) the learning curve was close to non existent. I loaded up Battlefield 2 and decided to play a few maps using only the sniper rifle and only firing shots off when my crosshair was on the enemies head. The end results were 60-7, 48-2, 39-11, and 41-5. The control was amazing and it was incredibly easy to get headshots. Funny thing is I got admin kicked via punkbuster for cheating on a sever I have been frequenting for the past 4 months, and in the end that is the best you can expect from any mouse. Of course I contacted the head server admin and the ban has already been lifted


The mouse pad I use is the fUnc sUrface1030 Archetype with fUnc Anti-Friction liquid.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 12:19 PM   #12
Greg King
I just kinda show up...
 
Greg King's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Indiana
Posts: 2,086
Default

Glad you like the mouse. I too use a fUnc... easily the best mouse pad on the earth.
__________________
"It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring."
- Carl Sagan

Primary:
Intel i7-5960X | ASUS X99-Deluxe | 16GB Crucial DDR4 | Intel 730 240GB SSD | Crucial M4 256GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | 2 x EVGA 770 GTX Superclocked SLI | Corsair H110 Water Cooler
Corsair 750D | Windows 8.1 x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 5760x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i5 3570 | ASRock Pro4-M | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 250GB | QNAP NAS iSCSI Shared Storage
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2007, 05:39 PM   #13
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief
 
Rob Williams's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Atlantic Canada
Posts: 13,352
Default

fUncing right.

I crack myself up.
__________________
Intel Core i7-3960X, GIGABYTE G1.Assassin 2, Kingston 16GB DDR3-2133, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 770 2GB
Kingston HyperX 3K 240GB SSD (OS, Apps), WD VR 1TB (Games), Corsair 1000HX, Corsair H70 Cooler
Corsair 800D, Dell 2408WFP 24", ASUS Xonar Essence STX, Gentoo (KDE 4.11. 3.12 Kernel)

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.


Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 02:36 AM   #14
MakubeX
Partition Master
 
MakubeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 277
Default

My favorite pads are also fUnc, and I've tried a LOT of them. Currently using the fUnc 1030 Archtype.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Williams View Post
fUncing right.

I crack myself up.
I bet you do Rob, I bet you do...
__________________
HP LP2065 20.1" S-IPS LCD | Lian Li PC-7077A case w/window | Asus P5Q Deluxe | Intel Q9650 4.2GHz - 1.33v
4GB G.Skill PI PC2-8800 | Asus HD 4870X2 | Ultra X3 1KW PSU | X-Fi Fatal1ty w/ Front Panel| Logitech Z-680 THX 5.1 Speakers

EK Supreme | EK FC-4870X2 block | Enzotech SNBW-SLI | Swiftech MCW30 | DDC-2 w/ XSPC Top | Laing D5 | Thermochill PA120.3 | Weapon Heatercore
MakubeX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2007, 01:53 AM   #15
Unregistered
Guest Poster
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
As an hardcore gamer and Logitech fan since the early 90s I can tell you this is by far the best mouse I have ever laid my hands on. Im 64 265lbs with large hands but for some reason this mouse fits it 100x better than the g5 even despite the fact that is around 25% smaller. Logitech got the design spot on for any gamer that uses their fingers to grip and control the mouse. However I can understand why a lot of people will hate it if they have come accustom to having their palm rest on the rear of a mouse. In my opinion any hardcore gamer will use fingers because of the far superior precision you gain from it. I received my g9 in the mail yesterday and hooked it up for its maiden voyage and with a 2000dpi setting (same as my g5) the learning curve was close to non existent. I loaded up Battlefield 2 and decided to play a few maps using only the sniper rifle and only firing shots off when my crosshair was on the enemies head. The end results were 60-7, 48-2, 39-11, and 41-5. The control was amazing and it was incredibly easy to get headshots. Funny thing is I got admin kicked via punkbuster for cheating on a sever I have been frequenting for the past 4 months, and in the end that is the best you can expect from any mouse. Of course I contacted the head server admin and the ban has already been lifted


The mouse pad I use is the fUnc sUrface1030 Archetype with fUnc Anti-Friction liquid.
Hi there, since you're a logitech fan you must've tried their MX310 mouse, can you please tell me how does G9 compare to it comfortwise?
  Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
None

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Logitech G3 Laser Mouse Rob Williams Reviews and Articles 27 06-20-2007 05:49 AM
Logitech G5 Laser Mouse Rob Williams Reviews and Articles 8 03-16-2007 02:43 PM
Logitech MX610 Cordless Laser Mouse Rob Williams Reviews and Articles 42 02-11-2007 07:50 PM
Logitech MX Revolution Laser Mouse Rob Williams Reviews and Articles 40 12-16-2006 01:45 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:22 PM.