Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:51 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Antec Sonata III Mid-Tower Case

The Sonata was Antec's flagship case for it's time and set the standard for the competition. It offered quiet performance with an affordable price tag for the budget market, which made it a favorite among system builders. Two generations later, Antec is using the Sonata III to improve on it's legacy and offer builders the same quality and bang for their buck.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

I should mention that the fan of the EarthWatts power supply in this case is thermally controlled, so it is actually controlled by the temperature of the air flowing through the power supply, not by the amount of power being supplied (though power output and heat generated can often have a proportional relationship). Thankfully, the 80mm fan won't make up a large part of the air exhausted from the case, so it won't be ingesting too much hot air, but some silent PC enthusiasts have found that building a cardboard duct to the front of the case can help the fan run even more quietly by causing it to ingest only cold exterior air.

Rory Buszka

Last edited by Rory Buszka; 08-01-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2007, 01:49 AM   #3
Matt Serrano
E.M.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taterworks View Post
I should mention that the fan of the EarthWatts power supply in this case is thermally controlled, so it is actually controlled by the temperature of the air flowing through the power supply, not by the amount of power being supplied (though power output and heat generated can often have a proportional relationship). Thankfully, the 80mm fan won't make up a large part of the air exhausted from the case, so it won't be ingesting too much hot air, but some silent PC enthusiasts have found that building a cardboard duct to the front of the case can help the fan run even more quietly by causing it to ingest only cold exterior air.
Interesting mod to say the least. I may have to try that one out.

Follow me on Twitter | flickr profile | digg profile | last.fm profile

PC - Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - E6300 @ 3.2GHz - abit IP35 Dark Raider - ASUS 8800GT
Macbook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo - 2.5GB RAM - OS X 10.5

What I'm up to..

Matt Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-02-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
    barone
    Obliviot

Very interesting taterworks.
    barone is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 08-22-2007, 06:07 AM   #5
    Unregistered
    Guest Poster

How is the power supply doing?
    if you don't use the full 500w will it use more then needed?
    Old 05-14-2008, 02:10 PM   #6
    Unregistered
    Guest Poster

Default antec earthwatt 500 w psu

I am a newbie

Should my psu fan spinn at all times , if the answer is yes then i have a problem because it spins at startup but then stops

Anyone reading this got some input

Cheers
    Old 05-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #7
    Merlin
    The Tech Wizard

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
    I am a newbie

Should my psu fan spinn at all times , if the answer is yes then i have a problem because it spins at startup but then stops

Anyone reading this got some input

Cheers
    I would say YES, it should spin all the time, unless you have some exotic PSU that states somwhere that it has thermal control over the fan
    But I havent seen any as yet.

Merlin
    GTX280 GPU watercooled
    Synology NAS 207 Network Server with 2 Hitachi Terabite drives
    LG NAS N2R1 with 2 ea 2 tb drives
    LINKSYS PLK300 Powerline Network Kit

Merlin is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
    None