Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 05-06-2007, 09:50 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Archos 704 WiFi Media Player

In midst of the media player war, Archos has released their 704 with includes WiFi support and includes a large 7" screen. Among a few of the included features is video support, music listening, web browsing, network sharing, photo viewing and more.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2007, 08:39 AM   #2
Unregistered
Guest Poster

The headphone jack on the left side of the device doubles as AV-Out, so you can connect the Archos 704 to a TV without the DVR station. I do it all the time.
Old 05-07-2007, 08:59 AM   #3
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Oh, I forgot to mention that the USB Host port isn't just for digital cameras (as stated in the review). It's also great for thumb drives, external hard drives, other Archos PMPs, and most UMS-compliant gadgets. You can copy content through the "Browse" option. Handy when there isn't a computer or WiFi access nearby.

I use the Host port to charge some my MP3 players too. You can't listen to music while surfing the Web on the 704-WiFi, so a separate music device is essential if you don't like to surf in silence.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:38 PM   #4
Matt Serrano
E.M.I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
The headphone jack on the left side of the device doubles as AV-Out, so you can connect the Archos 704 to a TV without the DVR station. I do it all the time.
I wasn't aware of that. I'll see if I can test it, but my original complaint still stands - not having the ability to record seems a little foolish.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Oh, I forgot to mention that the USB Host port isn't just for digital cameras (as stated in the review). It's also great for thumb drives, external hard drives, other Archos PMPs, and most UMS-compliant gadgets. You can copy content through the "Browse" option. Handy when there isn't a computer or WiFi access nearby.

I use the Host port to charge some my MP3 players too. You can't listen to music while surfing the Web on the 704-WiFi, so a separate music device is essential if you don't like to surf in silence.
That's true. Any USB On-The-Go supported device will work, including USB external hard drives. But at that point, I'd rather carry around a laptop.

Follow me on Twitter | flickr profile | digg profile | last.fm profile

PC - Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - E6300 @ 3.2GHz - abit IP35 Dark Raider - ASUS 8800GT
Macbook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo - 2.5GB RAM - OS X 10.5

What I'm up to..

Matt Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 05-09-2007, 12:26 PM   #5
    Unregistered
    Guest Poster

Question NTFS support

Previous models form Archos used FAT32 which splits up movies or high quality into multiple files. Does 704 support NTFS?
    Old 11-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #6
    Unregistered
    Guest Poster

Default archos 704 comapatability with dish network dvr

can anybody out there give me the bottom line on this: is the Archos 704 WiFi compatible with the Dish Network DVR?
    Old 02-10-2008, 04:10 PM   #7
    Unregistered
    Guest Poster

Smile Wish it could hold lossless audio!

If the Archos 704 WiFi unit could hold 96 Khz/24 bit word-length audio, I think it would sell a lot better. I would think the 80 gig unit could hold a lot of even that material. Very specifically, Dr. Mark Waldrep is now selling his great www.aixrecords.com DVD-A content on the web at www.itrax.com. The software does not exist to easily burn that content to discs. Minitonka DVD-A authoring software cuts off at 44 Khz if you are burning 5.1 channel material, e.g. I just want to be able to download the lossless audio from the itrax site, carry the device out to my great-room, and run it with a USB or ethernet cable into my receiver. About the only way to download 5.1 channel lossless audio right now is with Niveus and other home media servers that start at $3,200. Hey Archos- make it so it can hold lossless audio in 5.1 channels, please.

Tags
    None