Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 02-06-2007, 11:13 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default SilverStone TJ09

SilverStone is one of the premiere case builders in the market today. From their hugely popular Temjin tower series to the elegant LaScala series of HTPC cases to everything in between like the Sugo LAN case, SilverStone has something that's sure to fit the bill. SilverStone is long known to produce masterpieces of design and thermal engineering, today we look at their latest effort and see if it is indeed their best effort yet.

You can read Matts full review here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:45 PM   #2
Rory Buszka
Super Moderator

I like this review, especially the wealth of photos. I haven't found many other cases that can trigger the same "gottahaveit" drool reflex like SilverStone's cases. Their current product line is a study in how to rise like cream to the very top of the high-end case market as quickly as possible.

Rory Buszka
Rory Buszka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:26 AM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

Thanks The TJ09 is quite the work of art in my opinion. The options are really limitless as far as cooling goes.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Upcoming EVGA GTX470
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:37 PM   #4
Jakal
Tech Monkey

That really is a good looking case. I think the brushed aluminum look is nice, but agree it's hard to keep clean. It's better than a gloss finish, I think. SilverStone was definitely innovative with the duct work, and I was impressed at how effective it is.

This is definitely a "designer" case. The looks, window placement, and construction, all say quality. It's something I think someone, even if they're not into computers, would really enjoy.

Fine job on explaining the attributes of the case, Matt. Well done.
Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
Jakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 05:42 PM   #5
Matt Serrano
E.M.I.

That is such a sexy case.

Follow me on Twitter | flickr profile | digg profile | last.fm profile

PC - Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit - E6300 @ 3.2GHz - abit IP35 Dark Raider - ASUS 8800GT
Macbook - 2.0GHz Core 2 Duo - 2.5GB RAM - OS X 10.5

What I'm up to..

Matt Serrano is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 02-07-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
    Jakal
    Tech Monkey

Oh, quick question. How well do you think it would handle water cooling? Was there space enough to layout the pump, res, etc, in an effective manner?
    Intel C2Quad Q9400 @3.6Ghz | Asus PM5Q Deluxe | OCZ Reaper HPC PC2-8500 8GB | XFX Black Edition 260/216| knobs are great for twisting, turning, squeezing and pulling... especially your own..... that's how doors open | Chaos Havok: grrrr im lagging me | <@Deathspawner> I wish I was in Windows :-/
    Old 02-07-2007, 08:15 PM   #7
    madmat
    Soup Nazi

Actually it'll handle it very well. The res can set on top of the fan duct, the pump between the duct and the PSU and the rad can fit in the roof with an adapter I'm going to be building in the worklog I'll be putting up in the forums.

M4N82 Deluxe
    EVGA GTX260
    Upcoming EVGA GTX470
    Buncha drives,
    Some other stuff,
    Even more stuff,
    If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
    Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
    Jakal
    Tech Monkey

Cool, I'll keep an eye on it.
    Old 02-08-2007, 12:31 PM   #9
    madstork91
    The One, The Only...

I think it sexy... and i dont say that about many cases. Im actually quite picky about them.
    Old 09-22-2007, 08:13 AM   #10
    Trox
    Obliviot

Quote:
    Originally Posted by madmat View Post
    Actually it'll handle it very well. The res can set on top of the fan duct, the pump between the duct and the PSU and the rad can fit in the roof with an adapter I'm going to be building in the worklog I'll be putting up in the forums.
    First post!

I'm interested in how this case handles water cooling also, has the your work log been posted? I've been trying to search for it but no luck so far.

cheers
    Trox
    Trox is offline   Reply With Quote
    Old 09-23-2007, 04:51 AM   #11
    madmat
    Soup Nazi

It works wonders really. I posted it in the case mod forum, it's called "Putting the rad in my TJ09" and it outlines what I've done.

I'm going to be putting an MCR320 in it eventually but I have to build another PC so that I've got a rig going in the interim. Right now I'm a bit swamped so it's got to wait but it's in the works.

M4N82 Deluxe
    EVGA GTX260
    Upcoming EVGA GTX470
    Buncha drives,
    Some other stuff,
    Even more stuff,
    Old 04-05-2008, 03:38 AM   #12
    Mer-man
    Guest Poster

Default Dust or no dust, that is the question?

I own an older Coolermaster Praetorian case (pac-t01-e1).

http://www.coolermaster.co.jp/web/pr...-t01-e1/01.jpg

I'm quite happy with it, but would like something that has similar good looks, build quality but has better cooling capabilities. I am certain that the tj09 is my guy.

However, I have two concerns:

(1) - The duct/mesh that is situated under the power supply seems to be quite small, and considering most PSUs these days have 120mm fans, it seems to me that the fan will be obstructed by the case.

(2) - The Praetorian has thin foam filters covering all fan ducts/mesh to prevent dust from 'falling' or being 'sucked' into the system. How does the tj09 prevent this from happening? And has anyone found dust to be a problem?

Cheers

Merlin

Tags
    None