Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 10-23-2006, 11:25 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Zalman Reserator 1 V2 & Fan Kit

Water cooling has a lot of benefits. First off it's more effective, water removes heat close to ten times better than air. Secondly it's generally quieter, this is owed to waters better thermal capacity and the fact that the radiators used have way more area than a simple HSF does. Today we take a look at an un-traditional water cooling system that's about as quiet as you'll ever get.

Read Matts review here and discuss it here!

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 08:32 AM   #2
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Good, complete review Matt. Zalman seems to have something on their hands. If only it wasnt so large. I assume thats something you can get used to though.

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler
Fractal Design R3 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Dell 2410 x 3 @ 1920x1200

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Greg King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:30 PM   #3
madmat
Soup Nazi

As the girls say, size doesn't matter and thanks! It's been modded as per my review recommendations only with a 655 rather than a 355 and it's happily running away like that on a donor rig. So far so good but I think I didn't go far enough up with the return line into the Reserator body.

M4N82 Deluxe
Phenom II 940 Black Edition quad core @ 3.5Ghz
2x1 gig OCZ PC26400 Platinum, 2x1gig GSkill PC26400
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
madmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 03:32 PM   #4
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Ahh, nice. Any boost to performance?

System:
Intel i5 2500K | Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD4 | 16GB G.Skill DDR3 | Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 1TB Black x1 | WD 2TB Green x 1 | EVGA 660 Ti Superclocked | Corsair H80 Water Cooler

ESXi Host:
Intel i7 920 @ 3.0 GHz | Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4P | 24GB Patriot DDR3 | WD 1TB Black x 2
Old 10-24-2006, 03:56 PM   #5
madmat
Soup Nazi

Dunno, different rig, different chip. I just basically did it for S&G.

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
If the automobile had followed the same development cycle as the computer, a Rolls-Royce would today cost $100, get a million miles per gallon, and explode once a year, killing everyone inside. --Robert X. Cringely, InfoWorld magazine
Old 10-24-2006, 04:41 PM   #6
Greg King
I just kinda show up...

Nothing like modding a perfectly good peice of hardware to make it better. I love you.

System:

ESXi Host:
Old 10-24-2006, 04:53 PM   #7
madmat
Soup Nazi

I'm just sick that way

M4N82 Deluxe
EVGA GTX260
Buncha drives,
Some other stuff,
Even more stuff,
Old 09-03-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
Mowcius
Guest Poster

Just read your review after researching passive water cooling setups - great writeup on the system!

With a modified return feed (or even without), this looks like a pretty good piece of kit.

I'm looking at buying this to passively cool my new low power rig (AMD Athlon II x4 615e and NVidea GT240) and from the performance you and others seemed to get in tests, it sounds like it should handle that setup very well.

Is there really nothing new that's come out since this though? - I had a look and couldn't find anything.
I know this has been updated with a new CPU block now (which can be used for AM3 sockets) but I'd still have expected some other stuff to have come out seeing as it's such an effective product.

Oh and sorry for digging up such an old thread

Mowcius
Old 09-08-2011, 06:00 PM   #9
Kougar
Techgage Staff

There hasn't been much in the way of passive watercooling, no.

I may be an avid watercooling enthusiast, but I think for your purposes some large aftermarket coolers and very low-speed fans would be better suited to meet your needs and should perform better. It'd also be less expensive!
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #10
Mowcius
Obliviot

It looks like you've got quite the rig to cool

I'm not particularly worried about the cost of it and as far as performance goes, it's not as if it should struggle to keep the computer cool.

Well it's a bit disappointing to hear there aren't really any alternative products out there.
I have kind of got myself excited about not having any moving parts inside this machine now (apart from the bluray drive, and only a silent pump outside it) so any options with fans don't really spark up my interest

The idea so far is an 80 plus silver 220W PSU which can easily be fanless and 2 128GB Crucial M4s for boot and programs (storage of media files will be external) so then with the watercooling and some case modding I should be going completely fanless without resorting to an underpowered atom machine. Instead 16GB RAM, 1GB graphics and a 2.5GHz quad core plus two Eco 21.5" 1080p LED monitors.

Going to start ordering next week - can you tell I'm excited?
Mowcius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 07:17 PM   #11
Kougar
Techgage Staff

Well, no waterpump is truly silent either, so at least from my view I don't see how it's any worse (or better) than some low-noise fans. Noctua specializes in inaudible fans, and although they ship the fans with LNA and ULNA volt controllers I find them to be "silent" to my ears at the default settings. Some people do have ultra-sensitive high-frequency hearing though, I will admit.

If ya go with a pump, I suggest allotting at least 50W for any water pump as well, as 220W is on the very-low side just for the hardware you've mentioned. At full speed my pump can even exceed 50W, and it's not a high-pressure pump.

Also a word of warning, passive PSUs can only stay passive because their design assumes case airflow exists. If you have no fans in your case, a passive PSU will overheat. Please be aware of this when designing your case mod project! Even though the PSU is high efficiency (or even 80+ Platinum rated) its still going to require airflow. Doubly-so if it runs above 80% load, which I'd bet anything your setup would do sans pump.

Two 128GB SSDs makes for a ton of space, not even I have 120GB of games/programs installed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mowcius View Post
Going to start ordering next week - can you tell I'm excited?
Hehe, I can tell. And I wish you luck with your project!

SPCR has the most sensitive ear around when it comes to truly silent computing, I think your needs can be best served there. Try listening to the builds they'd recommend sometime, you might be surprised.

Some people have forced the passive cooling issue with modern triple/quad 120 or even triple 140mm radiators, but having a big black radiator at the top of your mod project may not be what you wanted... and only a few radiators have fin spacing optimized for passive airflow anyway. Anyway, feel free to stick around or start a mod project thread once ya got everything planned out! We're always happy to help where we can.
EVGA GTX 480 HydroCopper FTW
ASUS Xonar DX
Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB | Windows 7 64-bit
Apogee XT + MCP655 & Thermochill Triple 140mm Radiator
Corsair AX1200 PSU | Cooler Master HAF-X

Kougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 05:27 AM   #12
Mowcius
Obliviot

Quote:
Well, no waterpump is truly silent either, so at least from my view I don't see how it's any worse (or better) than some low-noise fans. Noctua specializes in inaudible fans, and although they ship the fans with LNA and ULNA volt controllers I find them to be "silent" to my ears at the default settings. Some people do have ultra-sensitive high-frequency hearing though, I will admit.
From what I've read about the one in the reserator it's pretty much inaudible (no doubt helped by the fact that it's submerged) but I see your point. I've got a single 120mm fan on my list and I'm thinking that I'll just have speedfan controlling that based on the temp of something else in my case (so it'll turn on every so often).

Quote:
If ya go with a pump, I suggest allotting at least 50W for any water pump as well, as 220W is on the very-low side just for the hardware you've mentioned. At full speed my pump can even exceed 50W, and it's not a high-pressure pump.
I think the pump in the reserator is meant to be 5W isn't it? I also think it's independently powered (if I remember correctly)
I haven't done my final checks on the system yet to see if it's all going to work nice but I'm quietly confident.
The CPU's 45W TDP and with the graphics card being 70W max the. The SSDs using 0.3W together and the other minor parts using not a lot, I thought 220W should be plenty.

[quote]Also a word of warning, passive PSUs can only stay passive because their design assumes case airflow exists. If you have no fans in your case, a passive PSU will overheat. Please be aware of this when designing your case mod project! Even though the PSU is high efficiency (or even 80+ Platinum rated) its still going to require airflow. Doubly-so if it runs above 80% load, which I'd bet anything your setup would do sans pump.[quote]
See above. The design for the case mod has not been decided upon yet but rest assured it will do good things for passive cooling.

Quote:
Two 128GB SSDs makes for a ton of space, not even I have 120GB of games/programs installed.
It's quite a bit of storage but when I start loading up my music and some videos, programs etc I'll soon fill it
Ideally I'll be able to fit everything I want to on these SSDs for a few years. I'm also looking at getting a new HD camera in a few months (if I have any money left!) so that'll soon eat up the storage.

Quote:
And I wish you luck with your project!
Thanks!

Quote:
SPCR has the most sensitive ear around when it comes to truly silent computing, I think your needs can be best served there.
Yeah I've had a good look over that site - it's given me a few good ideas for things.

Quote:
Some people have forced the passive cooling issue with modern triple/quad 120 or even triple 140mm radiators, but having a big black radiator at the top of your mod project may not be what you wanted... and only a few radiators have fin spacing optimized for passive airflow anyway. Anyway, feel free to stick around or start a mod project thread once ya got everything planned out! We're always happy to help where we can.
I think whatever's done you either have a very minimal case or you end up with stale hot air building up in the case and no amount of passive cooling in a case with poor airflow will rectify that.
Going back to the modding idea though, I am thinking of buying a RAM waterblock for my RAM but also one to modify for cooling the PSU - there's still going to be the other mobo chips generating heat.

Well I'll keep you guys updated with whatever I do
Old 09-10-2011, 07:31 AM   #13
Mowcius
Obliviot

Edit: Doublepost

Last edited by Mowcius; 09-11-2011 at 03:27 PM.

Tags
None