Latest Forum Posts

Latest News Posts
Coming Soon!
Social
Go Back   Techgage.com > Archives > Reviews and Articles

Reviews and Articles Discussion for Techgage content is located here. Only staff can create topics, but everyone is welcome to post.

Old 10-17-2006, 11:20 PM   #1
Rob Williams
Editor-in-Chief

Default Toshiba 200GB 4200RPM 2.5" Hard Drive

It has been a while since we've seen a capture of the top spot in the mobile storage market, but Toshiba has come along and delivered a 200GB 2.5" drive. What the drive adds in extra storage though, it takes away in speed.

You can read the full review here and discuss it here.

"Take care to get what you like, or you will be forced to like what you get!" - H.P. Baxxter
<Toad772> I don't always drink alcohol, but when I do, I take it too far.

Rob Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 12:50 AM   #2
Unregistered
Guest Poster

Thumbs up Backslash

Last friday I ordered a Seagate 160GB 5400.3 (SATA version) for my Macbook. Today I looked on Apple's site and noticed the new Macbook Pro's are using the new 200GB Drive. At first I choked as I was proud to own the largest drive on the market. Then I saw the 4200rpm rating and laughed my ass off, remembering the days of my old P3 based Dell laptop with a 4200rpm. Reading your review assured me even more that I had made the right purchase. Note that I stayed away from 7200rpm drives due to battery life concerns -- I have read that the 160GB with PMR actually conserves battery which is an added bonus.

Not to nitpick but 150MB/sec is actually the standard for SATA and not SATA II. SATA II is 3Gb/sec (or 300MB/sec). Laptop drives have not yet been graced with SATA 2 interfaces (which have the same pin-out but offer higher speeds and native support for e.SATA).

Thanks for the great and re-assuring review!
Old 11-02-2006, 08:21 AM   #3
JustMac
Guest Poster

Default Toshiba Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Last friday I ordered a Seagate 160GB 5400.3 (SATA version) for my Macbook. Today I looked on Apple's site and noticed the new Macbook Pro's are using the new 200GB Drive. At first I choked as I was proud to own the largest drive on the market. Then I saw the 4200rpm rating and laughed my ass off, remembering the days of my old P3 based Dell laptop with a 4200rpm. Reading your review assured me even more that I had made the right purchase. Note that I stayed away from 7200rpm drives due to battery life concerns -- I have read that the 160GB with PMR actually conserves battery which is an added bonus.

Not to nitpick but 150MB/sec is actually the standard for SATA and not SATA II. SATA II is 3Gb/sec (or 300MB/sec). Laptop drives have not yet been graced with SATA 2 interfaces (which have the same pin-out but offer higher speeds and native support for e.SATA).

Thanks for the great and re-assuring review!
Well, I managed to get a hold of a 200GB drive, and installed it in my macbook. I do photo and video editing, and based on my experience so far, the 200GB drive run pretty well on the macbook. I have experienced little or no slowdown in the apps that I use, so guess coming from a real-world user, the 200GB drive acquits itself quite handily.

I did an import of 1 hour of mini-DV video at full res before and after I got the Toshiba drive. It looked fine to me. 4200rpm seemed no different from a "faster" 5400 RPM drive, if my macbook's stock 5400 RPM drive is any comparison.

So my alternate real-world review conclusion: buy it if you need the storage. I don't see any real-world difference between the 4200 toshiba and the 5400 seagates that apple uses.

Tags
None